1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rick-rolling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris101, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Folks, rick-rolling while funny once has gotten quite old. I have removed the links as I am starting to get complaints from members who find it a waste of time and akin to spam.

Rest assured that there are many places on the internet where you can still find links to Rick Astley's music disguised as pertinent links.

Thanks for your understanding, and not continuing this here.

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Oh no. I'm sure Rick will be devastated that he is no longer welcome at NC
    :681:

By the way, thanks for providing the wiki link. It's surprising how many folks have yet to be 'rolled...

3. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
  4. hee hee

5. Perhaps I am the only one, but I don't like SPAM whereever I find it. Folks may find it humorous when they waste my time, I don't.

I just wonder how humorous folks would find this if you ran into one of these on every other thread you follow? Or how humorous this is when you are on a deadline researching for a project? Those "minute here, minute there" can add up in a hurry. Simply take the survey numbers at face value, calculate the value in time of 18,000 people at 1 minute each, add in bandwidth costs and the number you arrive at is quite significant.

And prior to calling me a humorless old fuddy-duddy .... PFFFFFTTTTTT to you in advance .... :tongue::tongue::wink::wink::biggrin:

My time is just as valuable as anyone else's, I just prefer to chose how I waste it, not have the wasteage foisted upon me ..... And there are ways to warn people, without giving away the "joke".

6. No, you are not the only one. :rolleyes: 

7. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    a rick roll would take 1 minute, maybe on a 56K in 1996

somehow I missed all of the cafe rick rolling, although its happened to me about 12 times in other places

8. Same here. Can I use my internet whoopie cushion?

9. Sure, the download might take very little time. But you waste my time following the link, some time to watch prior to shutting off, interrupting what I was doing. Perhaps you don't care that people waste your time, as I noted prior, but I value my time, and yours as well.

And more to the point, Spam is Spam, anyway you cut it, and this is no different.

I, and it looks like I am not the only one, is quite happy to see the Cafe take a stand on this, and any other Spam activity as well.

So, given your own statment of 12 times, that is 10-12 minutes of "calendar" time. If 18 million people hit that, a lot of time wasted.

No different than viruses and garbage that get sent around in my opinion.

10. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I understand and respect your opinion and your time

oh well I wasn't even involved so no harm no foul b/w us

I dont feel it wasted my time, personally, because I was browsing internet forums when I got rick rolled, which is my way of wasting my own time anyways

if it was via work email or something like that, then I might be kind of annoyed

11. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Thank you.

12. Oddly enough, I only just learned about "Rick-rolling" today.....and this evening, on another site, darned if someone didn't pull that stunt there! It really is QUITE annoying and a real time-waster. This kind of nonsense doesn't belong at the Cafe.

13. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Nothing is more annoying than someone wasting my valuable surfing time. Now, off to post my desktop wallpaper...

14. First, I want to thank you for such a nice, cogent reply. My guess is that you are slightly younger than I am, heck it wouldn't surprise me if I was old enough to be your Father :eek: , but it is truly nice to have a good conversation.

I'm glad you see my point, I see yours as well. When I saw this in the first thread I responded to, I was responding to a post where someone couldn't see the link due to being connected via cell-phone. To top it off I was, shame oh SHAME on me :redface::redface:, checking in from work. So you might say that it was a mini-Perfect-Storm. Couple that with my Old Phart mentality of being a Spam-Hater, and there you go :wink: Oh, I actually LIKE the Real Spam, add a little Mustard and maybe some Ketchup and Onions and you can make a grand sandwich or meatloaf ....

To be consistent, also on my "personal major annoyance list":
    Viral Marketing
    Affiliate Marketing
    Ads on the Bottom of my TV Screen
    Billboards, but please bring back good Burma Shave signs
    Bumper Stickers, especially those that tell me how stupid I am
    Junk Mail :eek: :eek:  ( i'll even include Bills )

So you can see my consistency.

Oh, yeah, I should add that I was ALSO angry because even though I am in the Software Industry, for darned near 40 years now, this was the first time I had heard of Rick-Rolling, heck I barely even know who this Rick guy is anyway but then do you know Pete Seeger??? :wink: Embarassing when I don't already know everything ......

15. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    hahahaha seen that before, that was hilarious. Rickrolling a basketball game, classic.

To all of the rickroll haters: Yes it's a waste of time, but it's like 2 seconds - you can X out of it whenever you want. I laugh when someone does a creative rickroll. I guess it's more of a younger-person thing. :shrug: But if you want it out of the cafe, that's fine by me. You older people wouldn't laugh anyway, and then it'd be a waste of both of our times. :wink:

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dude.

Rickrolling is sooo 3 months ago!

17. Pretty funny stuff. First I've heard about it.

18. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    I agree 99% with this administrative decision.

I would however expand it a bit with a gentlemanly (no sexism intended) unwritten agreement of not posting fake URLs at all.

And this clarifies the 1% disagreement I have with the decision: Rick Astley music videos are okay as long as the URL is not fake. Sure, it kills most of the surprise but lifts all worries about hidden malware at the wrong end of the link.

19. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Gosh! I've never, in my whole life, been rick-rolled!

Can someone do it to me, just so that I can say I've been done!?

:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.