Ricoh GR External Flash Options

My Ricoh GR arrives tomorrow. Can I use my Nikon external flash units (SB-400. SB900) on the GR? Is the Nikon TTL compatible with the GR?

I don’t want to buy the Ricoh GF-1 External Flash if I can use my Nikon external flash units.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/760981-REG/Ricoh_170433_GF_1_External_Flash.html

Down the road I would like to use a couple PocketWizard Plus X units. Would they be compatible with Nikon, Ricoh and Leica?

David,

No iTTL with Ricoh. You need their flash if you want it.

The SB-400 may fire, but will only fire at full power every time. It requires a Nikon with iTTL to control. The other flashes can only be used in manual mode in the hot shoe, you set the power based on a meter or gut feeling.

You can also use a flash with SU-4 mode (SB800, SB900, not sure about the others) where power is set manually, but the flash is optically triggered by the onboard Ricoh flash. In this case you'd set the Ricoh flash to it's lowest possible level manually (and turn off the Ricoh's TTL to avoid a pre-flash) and it would fire the off-camera flash. Useful because it's awkward to have a huge flash on top of a tiny camera.

Lastly, you could use radio triggers (transmitter in the hot shoe, receiver on the flash) to fire it in manual mode, then you don't need a flash equipped with SU-4.

Matt,

Thanks for the info. I used the SB-400 for fill flash on my D800E on a recent vacation and it worked great. I was hoping to use the SB-400 with the GR because it is smaller than the Ricoh GF-1 External Flash.

I'll use the GR pop up flash for awhile to see how it performs.

I'd like to figure out one system to use for all three camera bodies after I receive my Leica M (yes I'm still waiting). I think PocketWizard may be viable with the small bodies of the Ricoh GR and Leica M. I plan to use it for fill flash and need to learn how to use more off camera flash.

I forgot to mention that some flashes have a built-in meter, where you can input the ISO you're using, the aperture you're set to, and it will try to globally meter the scene. I can't recall if it uses a preflash or not. I have that setting available on an older Nikon flash, the SB-80DX, and have used it indoors with some success. It is in no way tied to the type of camera you're using, so it could work on all three, albeit not as accurate an exposure as Nikon's iTTL will give, particularly for outdoor fill flash.

This may be a good question to post in the flash sub forum, where the gurus like Wayne can chime in. Radio triggers are great as long as you're okay manually setting all of your flashes. Tough for spur of the moment without a lot of experience, but doable. There are some triggers from Pocket Wizard, Phottix, and other companies that can do iTTL over radio for Nikon (like CLS, but with radio rather than the sometimes less reliable infrared) and also function in manual for non-Nikon cameras. The nice thing with these products is that you can alter the power of the off-camera flash from the shoe-mounted transmitter. For other triggers, you must adjust the flash itself, a pain if it's in a light modifier sometimes, or far from your shooting position.

I think it is interesting if the SB400 will fire at all? Perhaps you can work around the issue (non TTL), I really like this small SB400.

Will you try it out David ?

My Sigma DP2M would not fire with the SB400.

(I am on the fence for this Ricoh camera)

I think it is interesting if the SB400 will fire at all? Perhaps you can work around the issue (non TTL), I really like this small SB400.

I still have my old SB-400 laying around, so I thought I'd try it on my GR for kicks. No go; it's like it wasn't even there. Too bad.

And yes, I did put some fresh batteries in and I did switch it on. :smile:

Marko,

Thanks for checking out the SB-400. I got home late last night and did not have a chance to try out that combo.

So far the pop-up flash has been working well on the GR. I plan to wait until my Leica M arrives then evaluate PocketWizard options at a local camera store.

I still have my old SB-400 laying around, so I thought I'd try it on my GR for kicks. No go; it's like it wasn't even there. Too bad.

And yes, I did put some fresh batteries in and I did switch it on. :smile:

Thank you, I thought so - the button (electronic) of the SB400 is different from the other Nikon flash, so perhaps there is something here.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom