Ricoh GR

Here is a link to a promotional video for the new Ricoh GR, and a short article:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-ricoh-gr-presentation-video/
http://petapixel.com/2013/04/15/ric...come-the-worlds-smallest-aps-c-sensor-camera/

It's a fixed lens 28mm equivalent camera with an APS-C 16mp sensor with no AA filter, presumably a modified Sony 16mp sensor used in the D7000 and NEX cameras. It's very compact measuring 117mm wide, 61mm tall, and 26.5mm deep (34.7mm including the grip).

Some notable features are dual control dial/toggles, 2 assignable Fn keys, a zoom key that I'm guessing will allow crop to 35mm FOV or be assignable to exposure compensation, internal neutral density filter, dedicated button for AE-L or C-AF (which is like AF-on).

It has a mode dial with M (manual), Tv (shutter priority), Av (aperture priority) and P (program). There is also TAv, which I believe allows for manual setting of shutter speed and aperture while using auto-ISO, a feature I use all the time and should allow for exposure compensation while shooting manual by varying ISO, just like on a Nikon. Finally there are 3 custom bank settings, auto mode, and movie mode.

Ricoh GR-D cameras have also had snap focus in the past, and should retain that. You can pre-set the focus distance just like you would on a lens with a distance scale, and have near instantaneous shutter release. Perfect for street shooting, or even landscape where you want to guarantee infinity focus.

I'm super excited about this camera, coming from shooting a GXR for so long. I really don't see how a single Coolpix A will sell once this hits the market (rumored at $800), unless you need CLS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
David,

There is a place in my bag for this camera as well as the RX-100. The Sony is just a perfect combination of small size and great IQ with a zoom lens. It's just not fast in operation, and changing settings on Sony cameras is plain wonky (I have the RX-100 and NEX-6 now). The Ricoh is so small, light, and fast, as well as hyper-customizable, smaller than the RX-100 to boot. It will be hard for me to say no!

Have you received your M-240 yet? You have the patience of Jobe :tongue: I'm sure I'll end up getting one, the question is when, unless Ricoh pulls an FX sensor camera with M-mount out of its hat. The M is a ton of cash and I'll end up selling most of my F-mount Zeiss and CV glass in the process. I'll probably end up similar to you, a DSLR with a couple AF zooms, the rest on a full-frame mirrorless that takes RF glass.

I sold my X100 and replaced it with the RX100. The RX100 is a great little camera that I carry everywhere. The GR also appears to be a great little camera, but I’ve never held one and don’t know enough about it to distinguish the differences from the RX100. I have heard the predecessors of the GR have almost a cult like following. What do you mean by “hyper-customizable”? The GR looks to be a great carry everywhere camera, but when would you use it instead of the RX100? Is it optimized for street shooting, candid people, etc.?

No I am still waiting for the M (Typ 240) that I ordered the day it was announced back in September.:actions1: I will use the 35/1.4 and 50/2 most of the time and occasionally the 21/3.4. I don’t plan to buy any more M glass especially on the long end. It just kind of negates the advantages of the small form factor of the M. In a year or two, I could see buying a ZF.2 135/2 that could be used on both my D800E and M with an adapter. I just really miss the Zeiss glass, but had to sell those lenses to justify the rangefinder kit.

I have the GRD III. even though it is a compact camera. nearly all the buttons
are customisable. YOu can change which button does what function.

I really like the snap focus. Even in autofocus mode. its very quick . You can literally
take it out and turn it on in fraction of a second and take a photo instantly.

Couldnt do that with my EPM1 or EPL1.

I tink I will save up for the new GR a well. Only after buying OMD5 though.

I sold my X100 and replaced it with the RX100. The RX100 is a great little camera that I carry everywhere. The GR also appears to be a great little camera, but I’ve never held one and don’t know enough about it to distinguish the differences from the RX100. I have heard the predecessors of the GR have almost a cult like following. What do you mean by “hyper-customizable”? The GR looks to be a great carry everywhere camera, but when would you use it instead of the RX100? Is it optimized for street shooting, candid people, etc.?

No I am still waiting for the M (Typ 240) that I ordered the day it was announced back in September.:actions1: I will use the 35/1.4 and 50/2 most of the time and occasionally the 21/3.4. I don’t plan to buy any more M glass especially on the long end. It just kind of negates the advantages of the small form factor of the M. In a year or two, I could see buying a ZF.2 135/2 that could be used on both my D800E and M with an adapter. I just really miss the Zeiss glass, but had to sell those lenses to justify the rangefinder kit.
The buttons on the Ricoh cameras are not only very well laid out, but almost all of them can be mapped to almost any adjustable function available. And you can save up to 6 different banks of custom settings for each button/dial, with access to 3 at any time via the top dial. So I can play tourist and have one setting for outdoor street people photos, one for static landscape photos, and one for indoors. The placement and tactile feel of the front dial under the index finger and rear toggle and zoom rockers is perfect in hand. The grip is well sized so you don't need any add-on piece for comfort.

For me the issue has always been the IQ in the past. Many folks like the older GR-D models, but they had tiny sensors and there was no depth of field control, and things got grainy quickly once you went above base ISO. But based on the quality of the DNG files from my M-mount for the GXR, this updated sensor should be more than adequate. The lens tailored to an AA-less sensor should also be very good. The corners are sharper and the bokeh is nicer than the Coolpix A at least.

So I'll probably get this camera. With an almost 4-year-old and a 2-month-old and all of their accoutrements, I don't have room for much more than a pocket cam these days, and either the RX-100 or GR (or both) are perfect for me. The RX-100 is a great tool with nice IQ, and I suspect the GR will be great in those regards and actually fun to shoot with as well. When I have time to myself, I can enjoy the NEX/GXR and small M-mount lenses or even the D600 while travelling.

I may have found a way to swing the GR. My daughter was required to purchase a DSLR for her photo journalism class. Now that she is graduating and has a job, she wants to swap the DSLR out for a good P&S camera with zoom capability. I offered to give her my RX100 (add on grip, extra battery, case, memory cards) in exchange for her D3200 and kit lens. My son who just finished his freshman year at college also has the RX100 and loves it. I would sell the D3200 and use the funds to cover part of the cost of the Ricoh GR. I'll have to wait to see if my daughter takes me up on my offer. She is focused on finals this week followed by graduation.

I sold my X100 and replaced it with the RX100.
I'm curious about this because I have my eyes the Fuji X100s...I have the little RX100 witch I like a lot but got lust for the Fuji. It is the small factor you were looking for? What about Fuji IQ, colors and ISO compared to the Sony RX100? Thanks a lot

I'm curious about this because I have my eyes the Fuji X100s...I have the little RX100 witch I like a lot but got lust for the Fuji. It is the small factor you were looking for? What about Fuji IQ, colors and ISO compared to the Sony RX100? Thanks a lot
I really liked the X100, so much so, I decided to transition to a Leica rangefinder. The RX100 (or GR) is more of a pocket camera that I can take anywhere. The X100 is not as small and is more comparable to a rangefinder. The form factor is the reason I went for the RX100. The IQ is why I am heading toward a rangefinder. I end up taking the RX100 places that I would not have taken the X100. It is that much smaller, but the IQ is very acceptable.

I may have found a way to swing the GR. My daughter was required to purchase a DSLR for her photo journalism class. Now that she is graduating and has a job, she wants to swap the DSLR out for a good P&S camera with zoom capability. I offered to give her my RX100 (add on grip, extra battery, case, memory cards) in exchange for her D3200 and kit lens. My son who just finished his freshman year at college also has the RX100 and loves it. I would sell the D3200 and use the funds to cover part of the cost of the Ricoh GR. I'll have to wait to see if my daughter takes me up on my offer. She is focused on finals this week followed by graduation.
That's great! Let us know how you like it if you end up getting the GR. My camera gear budget is dwindling after updating my laptop and external storage. I still can't decide if I want to get the GR, or the Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 in M-mount. Both are close focal length wise for my current use. Do I go for the fast wide-angle lens for my NEX/GXR, or do I get the purpose built street camera? The 21/1.8 would sure be nice on an M9 or M-Typ240!

If I was only shooting jpeg and was okay with size/operation, I'd get the x100s. But I don't like the RAW processing of X-trans sensor photos at all. I do prefer 35mm to 28mm field of view. I like that the Ricoh will operate in a 35mm crop mode for framing on the LCD. You really have to try each one in hand and determine what you like to shoot with. In my opinion, the GR is a perfectly optimized street camera that should do well as a landscape type camera as well, and fits in a pants pocket like the RX-100.

That's great! Let us know how you like it if you end up getting the GR. My camera gear budget is dwindling after updating my laptop and external storage. I still can't decide if I want to get the GR, or the Voigtlander 21mm f/1.8 in M-mount. Both are close focal length wise for my current use. Do I go for the fast wide-angle lens for my NEX/GXR, or do I get the purpose built street camera? The 21/1.8 would sure be nice on an M9 or M-Typ240!
I had a chance to visit more with my daughter. She really is looking for more zoom. She either needs to add a 55-200 or buy an 18-200. Looks like I will need to put my plans for a GR on hold.

Thanks for your responses Matt & David. Handling the x100s was really great an I mostly shoot jpeg and love the colors of the pictures I've seen with it. I'm not in a hurry so I can wait and see if the Ricoh will be available here in Montréal, so I can compare it with the Nikon Coolpix A too. I want to build a 2 prime combo, either Ricoh, Nikon or Fuji with my small E-PM2 & 45 f1.8. It's good to have many great options!

I have not received my Leica M yet and am dreading hauling my 4lb. D800E with 24-120/4 to Italy next month. The RX100 is a great backup camera, but do you think the Ricoh GR could stand in for the Leica M with 35/1.4? Would the GR output be noticeably better than the RX100?

I have not received my Leica M yet and am dreading hauling my 4lb. D800E with 24-120/4 to Italy next month. The RX100 is a great backup camera, but do you think the Ricoh GR could stand in for the Leica M with 35/1.4? Would the GR output be noticeably better than the RX100?
I don't know David, I would use a slow 28mm lens completely differently from a fast 35mm lens. Do you already have your lenses? If so, why not pick up a used Ricoh GXR and M-mount to use with your current Leica glass. It should be cheaper than a new GR. They pop up not infrequently on FM, and I still am amazed at some images I took in Rome exclusively with that kit. In fact, my D700 sat in the hotel room the whole time. From your kit, I'd carry the 21 SEM, 35 Lux, and 90AA.

I don't know David, I would use a slow 28mm lens completely differently from a fast 35mm lens. Do you already have your lenses? If so, why not pick up a used Ricoh GXR and M-mount to use with your current Leica glass. It should be cheaper than a new GR. They pop up not infrequently on FM, and I still am amazed at some images I took in Rome exclusively with that kit. In fact, my D700 sat in the hotel room the whole time. From your kit, I'd carry the 21 SEM, 35 Lux, and 90AA.
Matt,

What is the crop on the GXR with M mount? I was thinking the 28/2.8 GR would cover most of my needs. Both the RX100 and GR are pocketable and around 1/2 lb. each. I am really curious if the GR reproduction is noticably better than the RX100. Carrying both the RX100 and GR would only be around 1lb. and would provide backup. Space is limited as we are limited to a 21" suitcase and camera bag (personal item, shoulder bag, purse, etc.) during our tour.

Matt,

What is the crop on the GXR with M mount? I was thinking the 28/2.8 GR would cover most of my needs. Both the RX100 and GR are pocketable and around 1/2 lb. each. I am really curious if the GR reproduction is noticably better than the RX100. Carrying both the RX100 and GR would only be around 1lb. and would provide backup. Space is limited as we are limited to a 21" suitcase and camera bag (personal item, shoulder bag, purse, etc.) during our tour.
David, it's a DX sensor, same as the one in the D300 but without an AA filter. It would give you roughly a 31mm, 52mm, and 135mm full-frame field of view to use those three lenses on a GXR. I think that the GR would probably be a better all-round combo than the 21SEM on a GXR because:

1) Lens-sensor combo is optimized
2) Better DR at base ISO, better high-ISO performance
3) More resolution (16mp vs. 12mp)
4) Truly pocketable, AF
5) Much closer focus than a rangefinder lens, faster than the 21SEM
6) If your camera is lost or stolen, less financial loss and easier to replace

Advantage of the GXR would be that you could use your other lenses, everything fits in a small bag.

Based on samples I've seen from the GR, I'm impressed. Wicked sharp wide open in the center, excellent corner to corner sharpness stopped down, pleasant rendering of the out of focus backgrounds, little if any CA. At base ISO you may only see a little advantage of the GR over the RX-100 stopped down. But for golden hour shooting and the evening, I think the GR will easily trump it for more DR and better ISO performance once you have to go above ISO 200.

David, it's a DX sensor, same as the one in the D300 but without an AA filter. It would give you roughly a 31mm, 52mm, and 135mm full-frame field of view to use those three lenses on a GXR. I think that the GR would probably be a better all-round combo than the 21SEM on a GXR because:

1) Lens-sensor combo is optimized
2) Better DR at base ISO, better high-ISO performance
3) More resolution (16mp vs. 12mp)
4) Truly pocketable, AF
5) Much closer focus than a rangefinder lens, faster than the 21SEM
6) If your camera is lost or stolen, less financial loss and easier to replace

Advantage of the GXR would be that you could use your other lenses, everything fits in a small bag.

Based on samples I've seen from the GR, I'm impressed. Wicked sharp wide open in the center, excellent corner to corner sharpness stopped down, pleasant rendering of the out of focus backgrounds, little if any CA. At base ISO you may only see a little advantage of the GR over the RX-100 stopped down. But for golden hour shooting and the evening, I think the GR will easily trump it for more DR and better ISO performance once you have to go above ISO 200.
The options may change next week. I stopped by my local camera dealer on the way home and they informed me they were told by the Leica Rep that they will be receiving their first Leica M. Unfortunately, they don't know if it is a silver or black body. I was first on the list, but I ordered a silver body. There are others on the list behind me that ordered black bodies. I probably won't know until next weekend, but if it is my silver body, I plan to take it on our trip with the RX100 as a backup camera. I will then need to decide if I just take the 35/1.4 or add another lens.

The Ricoh GR should be an interesting camera if it is as good or surpasses the Coolpix A which is overpriced IMO. The reviews I have read on the A certainly say good things about the image quality and the sharpness of the Nikon 28mm 2.8 lens, so if the GR can match that at a $300 savings it might be a great travel cam for the $$$$ 28mm is very workable as a travel, snapshot range I think but like that $699 price point a lot better.

The options may change next week. I stopped by my local camera dealer on the way home and they informed me they were told by the Leica Rep that they will be receiving their first Leica M. Unfortunately, they don't know if it is a silver or black body. I was first on the list, but I ordered a silver body. There are others on the list behind me that ordered black bodies. I probably won't know until next weekend, but if it is my silver body, I plan to take it on our trip with the RX100 as a backup camera. I will then need to decide if I just take the 35/1.4 or add another lens.
My local camera shop just received their first Leica M 240. Unfortunately it was black, so I am still waiting.

We just got back from Italy, and while the D800E,24/120 performed well, I doubt I would take that 4lb. combo on a similar trip in the future.

I've broken down and ordered the Ricoh GR.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom