1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Riley, my almost 3 yr old black lab

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by RichB, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Took this pic this morning out in the back yard before work, first morning with the D40 after getting it last night and I wanted to play around a bit. He didnt want to stop moving, so I was lucky to get this one lol.

55mm, F5.6, 1/250, exposure -1 (didnt work out too great), and reverse curtain flash (I think thats what its called). No processing, just the upload to Flickr. This is the basic JPEG, as I have the camera set to RAW+JPEG at the moment. C&C is welcome since Im still a meganoob! :tongue:

3836264077_e06653a92b_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Adorable! I remember handling many many soggy tennis balls when my labs were alive. Nice quick snapshot.

Dont know if you actually needed the flash though. Seems as if there's plenty of light.

3. Thanks for the feedback. This was taken at ~8:30 this morning, and the sun was behind my back but still hidden by trees at that time. There was probably plenty of light for a slower shutter speed, but given the fact he doesnt stop moving that wasnt really an option. Also, I read to use flash as a fill to enhance pictures taken in sunlight/bright daylight. Hes as black as night as you can see, and I think without the flash you wouldnt really be able to see any detail in his coat, or be able to see a better representation of his color. Or lack thereof lol.

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Good looking fellow!

5. Hey Rich, nice capture of a great looking pooch....
    Black fur is really hard to get the exposure right and you nail it and the focal point with the right amount of DOF...
    I think the fill in flash was the right decision... Well done...
    Sure you haven't been doing this for a while... LOL...

6. Nice capture, thats a good lookin dog!

7. Thanks guys, and no Wally, I only had the camera in my hands for about 14 hours at that moment, and only had 50 snaps under my belt LOL :p  I have been reading a bit though in the past week, so I learned about using the flash for daylight fill and also about how to get good DOF. So in my case, reading has helped more than experience so far haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.