Riley, my almost 3 yr old black lab

Took this pic this morning out in the back yard before work, first morning with the D40 after getting it last night and I wanted to play around a bit. He didnt want to stop moving, so I was lucky to get this one lol.

55mm, F5.6, 1/250, exposure -1 (didnt work out too great), and reverse curtain flash (I think thats what its called). No processing, just the upload to Flickr. This is the basic JPEG, as I have the camera set to RAW+JPEG at the moment. C&C is welcome since Im still a meganoob! :tongue:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Adorable! I remember handling many many soggy tennis balls when my labs were alive. Nice quick snapshot.

Dont know if you actually needed the flash though. Seems as if there's plenty of light.

Thanks for the feedback. This was taken at ~8:30 this morning, and the sun was behind my back but still hidden by trees at that time. There was probably plenty of light for a slower shutter speed, but given the fact he doesnt stop moving that wasnt really an option. Also, I read to use flash as a fill to enhance pictures taken in sunlight/bright daylight. Hes as black as night as you can see, and I think without the flash you wouldnt really be able to see any detail in his coat, or be able to see a better representation of his color. Or lack thereof lol.

Hey Rich, nice capture of a great looking pooch....
Black fur is really hard to get the exposure right and you nail it and the focal point with the right amount of DOF...
I think the fill in flash was the right decision... Well done...
Sure you haven't been doing this for a while... LOL...

Thanks guys, and no Wally, I only had the camera in my hands for about 14 hours at that moment, and only had 50 snaps under my belt LOL :p I have been reading a bit though in the past week, so I learned about using the flash for daylight fill and also about how to get good DOF. So in my case, reading has helped more than experience so far haha.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom