Ring Flash?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Sancho, May 23, 2007.

1. Sancho

Sancho

May 21, 2007
    Arkansas & Belize
    Any recommendations on a good ring flash for shooting macro?
    I plan on using it w/D-200.
    Thanks, Sancho

2. Nikon has come out with the R1C1 system for shooting/lighting macro. It's expensive, but does the job!

3. Since you want to use it with a D200 you might consider getting just the R1 kit (without SU-800) because you can use the built in flash as commander. It becomes quite affordable this way.
    The combination of flexibility and results has no rival.

Cheers

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I was interested in getting the R1C1... does anyone have links to a gallery of sample shots taken with it?

I don't like the round catchlight produced by a ring light, but that's a personal preference.

5. That's a good thought, Harry. However... At the time I was considering the R1C1 vs the R1 kit, I was using the D200. Someone quite wisely advised me to think ahead and if I were planning at all on at some point getting the D2X(s) that the R1C1 kit would be necessary since the D2X(s) does not have an on-board flash. I thought about that and so bought the R1C1. And sure enough, months later I bought the D2Xs! Now I'm all set, regardless of which camera I use...

6. That's right, of course. The SU-800 has another big advantage - you don't have to enter the cam's menu every time you want to change some settings of the flash.

Also, I have my doubts about the rigidness of the pop-up flash, just in case you use it very often.

Cheers

7. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Sancho

Sancho

May 21, 2007
    Arkansas & Belize
    Thanks all for the input.
    I'll read up on this (going R1C1 vs R1) and let ya'll know how I go.
    For me the ring flash will be use to take pics of pistils in flowers & insects.

Nice daughter photo, Harry.

The link to Igor's thread is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  9. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks a lot for the links Harry! I would like to get it sometime soon, but the fact that they use CR123A batteries is a downer. How many flashes do you generally get for a fresh battery? I understand it's a subjective question, but a ballpark figure... like 100? 200? less?

10. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    If you're into DIY on strobist they recently showed how to make your own ring flash. Seems pretty easy and the results are not bad at all !!

11. I was going to post that you could make your own. Perhaps I will try this one day.

12. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    Don't have the R1 but...

I've heard that you can use the SB-800 flash as the controller on D2 series cameras. I do not have the R1 so I don't know how well this works in reality. I do have the SB-800 on my D2h and when I can save enough to get the R1 I'll try this out first and if it doesn't work out as well then I'll just add the SU-800 controller. Just trying to save a few dollars where I can.:cool:
    Maybe some others in the forum have had experience using the SB-800 as controller for the R1?

13. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    You can use the SB-800 on-camera as a master for remotes like the SB-R200s, SB-800 or SB-600.

D200 has a commander mode for its pop-up flash too.