Ring Flash?

Since you want to use it with a D200 you might consider getting just the R1 kit (without SU-800) because you can use the built in flash as commander. It becomes quite affordable this way.
The combination of flexibility and results has no rival.

Cheers

I was interested in getting the R1C1... does anyone have links to a gallery of sample shots taken with it?

I don't like the round catchlight produced by a ring light, but that's a personal preference.

Since you want to use it with a D200 you might consider getting just the R1 kit (without SU-800) because you can use the built in flash as commander. It becomes quite affordable this way.
The combination of flexibility and results has no rival.

Cheers
That's a good thought, Harry. However... At the time I was considering the R1C1 vs the R1 kit, I was using the D200. Someone quite wisely advised me to think ahead and if I were planning at all on at some point getting the D2X(s) that the R1C1 kit would be necessary since the D2X(s) does not have an on-board flash. I thought about that and so bought the R1C1. And sure enough, months later I bought the D2Xs! Now I'm all set, regardless of which camera I use...

That's a good thought, Harry. However... At the time I was considering the R1C1 vs the R1 kit, I was using the D200. Someone quite wisely advised me to think ahead and if I were planning at all on at some point getting the D2X(s) that the R1C1 kit would be necessary since the D2X(s) does not have an on-board flash. I thought about that and so bought the R1C1. And sure enough, months later I bought the D2Xs! Now I'm all set, regardless of which camera I use...
That's right, of course. The SU-800 has another big advantage - you don't have to enter the cam's menu every time you want to change some settings of the flash.

Also, I have my doubts about the rigidness of the pop-up flash, just in case you use it very often.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the input.
I'll read up on this (going R1C1 vs R1) and let ya'll know how I go.
For me the ring flash will be use to take pics of pistils in flowers & insects.

Nice daughter photo, Harry.

The link to Igor's thread is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the links Harry! I would like to get it sometime soon, but the fact that they use CR123A batteries is a downer. How many flashes do you generally get for a fresh battery? I understand it's a subjective question, but a ballpark figure... like 100? 200? less?

Don't have the R1 but...

I've heard that you can use the SB-800 flash as the controller on D2 series cameras. I do not have the R1 so I don't know how well this works in reality. I do have the SB-800 on my D2h and when I can save enough to get the R1 I'll try this out first and if it doesn't work out as well then I'll just add the SU-800 controller. Just trying to save a few dollars where I can.:cool:
Maybe some others in the forum have had experience using the SB-800 as controller for the R1?

You can use the SB-800 on-camera as a master for remotes like the SB-R200s, SB-800 or SB-600.

D200 has a commander mode for its pop-up flash too.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom