Ring Neck Pheasant ~ Full Breeding Plumage

Easter morning found me kneeling in snow at a balmy 19 degrees Fahrenheit at dawn looking for partridges....and I didn't find any.

I did however, find this beautiful male ring necked pheasant in full breeding dress.

The first image is interesting as the bird was completely backlit even though the sun had not yet crested the hill to the east of where we were positioned. I was forced to overexpose the scene in order to light the bird properly and if you note the blue shadows cast by the bird, they were visible when I took the shot.....I therefore opted to leave them as they appeared to my eyes:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A shot with nearby brush as a backdrop:

In front of the pines.....

A change of position with some early sun now beginning to illuminate the bird:

A head shot in full early morning sun:

Super shots. Real colorful bird. I bet the female pheasants are going to like him.

#1 is really an interesting shot, almost looks like something one might try to set up in a studio, and still would not look quite so interesting. Great example of being prepared and in place at the right time, eh, who would have thought?

Saw a bunch of these over the weekend, luckily it was much warmer for us, but couldn't get one to stay around long enough for anything but a Butt Shot.

I like these a lot, but #1 is really special, in my opinion. And the "story line" has a lot to do with it as well.

Real Name
Tony Saya
The second shot is outstanding the vibrancy of the color is great.

Where I worked many years ago had a flock of pheasants and the males were just outstandingly beautiful just like your shots here.

In NY pheasants are becoming increasingly rare

Wonderful series of shots, composition wise, sharp etc...etc...wonderfull color. You can't do any better than this Jim - Great Job-Jeff

Jim, all extremely beautiful shots but #1 has that Jim Fenton signature all over it. Who else can pull shots like that?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom