Ring Neck Pheasant ~ Full Breeding Plumage

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Apr 9, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Easter morning found me kneeling in snow at a balmy 19 degrees Fahrenheit at dawn looking for partridges....and I didn't find any.

I did however, find this beautiful male ring necked pheasant in full breeding dress.

The first image is interesting as the bird was completely backlit even though the sun had not yet crested the hill to the east of where we were positioned. I was forced to overexpose the scene in order to light the bird properly and if you note the blue shadows cast by the bird, they were visible when I took the shot.....I therefore opted to leave them as they appeared to my eyes:

original.

A shot with nearby brush as a backdrop:

original.

In front of the pines.....

original.

A change of position with some early sun now beginning to illuminate the bird:

original.

A head shot in full early morning sun:

original.

2. Wow, he is truly stunning!!!

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Super shots. Real colorful bird. I bet the female pheasants are going to like him.

4. Amazing shots Jim - you've really nailed "it" with this series....

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what a beautiful colorful bird. I have never seen one..
    Super shots....

6. Superb shots, Jim - those colours! You've really nailed these. I love the first one the best. Well done.

7. jimmyc1000

jimmyc1000

Jun 14, 2006
    Fantastic shots. Love the rich colors and texture. Very well done.

8. WOW Jim. Just beautiful images here. Well done once again.

9. Jim, absolutely beautiful shots all of them. However the second one should be hanging on someone's wall.

Louie

10. These are incredible shots - focus, exposure, composition, getting close to the bird. I don't see how you could have made them any better.

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Folks

I appreciate you're taking the time to look and I'm glad that you liked the shots....I was really pleased with them myself :)

12. #1 is really an interesting shot, almost looks like something one might try to set up in a studio, and still would not look quite so interesting. Great example of being prepared and in place at the right time, eh, who would have thought?

Saw a bunch of these over the weekend, luckily it was much warmer for us, but couldn't get one to stay around long enough for anything but a Butt Shot.

I like these a lot, but #1 is really special, in my opinion. And the "story line" has a lot to do with it as well.

13. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I would be very pleased as well jim! Simply stunning job :wink:

14. Beautifully done, Jim.

PaulC

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Fantastic

16. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    The second shot is outstanding the vibrancy of the color is great.

Where I worked many years ago had a flock of pheasants and the males were just outstandingly beautiful just like your shots here.

In NY pheasants are becoming increasingly rare

17. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Wonderful series of shots, composition wise, sharp etc...etc...wonderfull color. You can't do any better than this Jim - Great Job-Jeff

18. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Jim, all extremely beautiful shots but #1 has that Jim Fenton signature all over it. Who else can pull shots like that?

19. Very nice shots there Jim, thanks for sharing.

George.