Ring The Bell Thread- Challenge Announcements!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
no more interest?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Aaah...
The big hops tea party... :) :) :)

Regards
Klaus

to summarize the first day, we have:

Kees de Bruin
kilofoxtrott (Klaus)
les_au from down under
Lyndee
mpresley (Mike)
Gordo (Gordon)

not bad for a start...

What about advertising this event a little bit?
Aaron -

I think it might be worthwhile posting the official start-up memo outlining the dates and the rules/categories. That way we could encourage others to seek out that post in this forum. There are probably some new members who do not understand Octoberfest. Plus, the word "Octoberfest" is not yet showing up in the title to a post in the Meme Forum.

It's time to make our lens choices in any case.

Harry

Aaron -

I think it might be worthwhile posting the official start-up memo outlining the dates and the rules/categories. That way we could encourage others to seek out that post in this forum. There are probably some new members who do not understand Octoberfest. Plus, the word "Octoberfest" is not yet showing up in the title to a post in the Meme Forum.

It's time to make our lens choices in any case.

Harry
Hello Harry,
I agree, you're right. But the question for me is, do we have an event this year or not (missing people who are joining)?

Hi Aaron,
about the prime lens...
I own only the 50mm and the 105mm macro as primes... :sick:

Regards
Klaus
Klaus, the idea is that for the whole month of October you shoot with one or two prime lenses and post a single image each day. But, you can also shoot with zoom lenses during the month but all submitted photos must be shot with a prime lens. It is a nice way to force your photography into a more strict regime and for me it really kindled my interest in shooting primes.

Hello Harry,
I agree, you're right. But the question for me is, do we have an event this year or not (missing people who are joining)?
I think we should. Even with a small group of participants (which is at 8, possibly 9 right now, if I counted correctly). And once the registration thread is open, we may get a few more signed up.

But, that's like, just my opinion. :)

I'm certain I don't have the time available to herd the cats for a month (unless a part-time/ semi-present host is OK with everyone), but I can initiate the rules/ registration thread after I get back from physical therapy today if we want to proceed.

I'm very tempted to join in this October. Did it a few year ago and it was difficult but a lot of fun. As I recall there were categories of particpation. Some folks will shoot a prime for the entire month and no other lens. I think I was in the most casual grouping.

I'm very tempted to join in this October. Did it a few year ago and it was difficult but a lot of fun. As I recall there were categories of particpation. Some folks will shoot a prime for the entire month and no other lens. I think I was in the most casual grouping.
Art - the O'fests I have participated in since being here have been run with either 2 or 3 levels of participation - hardcore and player, or hardcore, player and casual. Details on exactly how we want to run can be worked out in the rules discussion prior to start - but since it is supposed to be a challenge, the rules should be at least a bit restrictive IMHO.

By my count, I'm seeing 8 announced participants and 2 possibles. I hope that if we get the ball rolling, we will get at least a few more.

I have the rules discussion and registration thread typed up and available to post, and will start the thread if people want to have an O'Fest this year.

I simply won't have the time to properly host by myself, but I will volunteer to be a co-host if that will help.

Do we really need a full-time host after all these years? Gordo has offered to get the ball rolling, and handle the rules/signup. After that it is mostly making sure you comment on every pic every day. But would our effort fall apart with no hosts or part time hosts? Most of us do that as much as we can anyway. Just a thought to stimulate comment.

Good question Harry - I'm not sure we would need a full-time host with a small group. Other than having someone available to handle the occasional question or such? I guess someone would need to be the arbiter to finalize the rules after any group discussion.

I know I've only participated in one previous Oktoberfest but it seems to me that we are big boys and girls and I'm not sure why we would need full time host. Maybe just a designated driver :)

OK - Octoberfest 2015 discussion/ registration thread is now open.

Please use that thread so we can discuss any changes to proposed rules, answer questions, and start registering.

Aaron - hope I didn't step on your toes - it just seemed to be getting a bit close to the beginning and the thread needed to be started.

And if we could get a mod to sticky the thread until the end of October, it would be appreciated.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in trying again this year. It's tough, as I (again) have a week of business travel out of the country during October. Will likely have to do "Cruiser", as I'll need to use the Fuji X100s during travel. Will try to figure out what lens for the rest of the month...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom