Ring The Bell Thread- Challenge Announcements!

Real Name
Chris
@Chris101: I joined the Cafe earlier this year, so I have not been around for Oktoberfest yet. I have two questions:

1. Is it accurate to call it "hardcore" by posting results in the Oktoberfest meme from only 1 prime only for the whole month but still shooting other lenses for other work? Or is the intent to leave everything but one prime at home for the entire month without exception?
My thinking has always been the former - just shoot your single prime for the meme, but you may (of course) shoot whatever else you want in your off-forum life. But to be truly hardcore, you'd want to fully immerse yourself in your chosen lens, so just post stuff from it for the month.
2. Is the intent that each person's theme be extremely cohesive for the month, or is the expectation simply to show our vision through a single focal length?
Themes are wide open. My first Octoberfest was a random collection of images, I have also told stories, explored techniques and highlighted my family. Anything you like will work.

Real Name
Paul
@Chris101: I joined the Cafe earlier this year, so I have not been around for Oktoberfest yet. I have two questions:

1. Is it accurate to call it "hardcore" by posting results in the Oktoberfest meme from only 1 prime only for the whole month but still shooting other lenses for other work? Or is the intent to leave everything but one prime at home for the entire month without exception?

2. Is the intent that each person's theme be extremely cohesive for the month, or is the expectation simply to show our vision through a single focal length?
My take is...
1) If "hardcore", then all Oktoberfest submissions would be with the one lens, all month. Other than that you are feel to do whatever you want (e.g. participate in weekly Collective Shoots with other lenses). I find that sometimes I use that prime for weekly Collective Shoots too, or while out shooting for Oktoberfest, I may put on another lens to take shots for Collective Shoot or other purposes (like I'm a car club photographer for my local BMW club chapter).

2) As a novice, I find it more than challenging just to try to get 31 shots that are reasonable to post, using only one prime, but will at times have panic days where I end up taking pictures of my dog or something simplistic around the house. :) I have been striving to, however, come up with a theme and try to capture shots for that theme. It is incredibly hard, IMHO, as too narrow or specific of a theme can amplify the difficulty. That said, there are others here that can shoot a theme for 31 days and make it look simple...some day I hope my Camera-fu is that good. :)

The key things to me are A) have fun, B) challenge myself with a lens.

Real Name
Chris
I don't disagree with a thing you said Paul.

Themes are important to me but it wasn't always that way, I started Octoberfesting with a couple years of unrelated pics, tied together only by the lens used.

After a few years of doing that, I started making up a 'scary' story around halfway through. So I would start selecting pictures for the story I imagined. That evolved over several years into directing scenes to progressed a specific story, minding the lens restrictions the whole time. It's a fun, and very challenging project at every step along the way.

I am hoping to make another October Story this year, but if not, I will surely learn a new workflow!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Someone is interested in a weekend long spring meme?
I suggest it'll run from Friday, May 1st to Sunday, May 3rd.

Kind regards
Klaus

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
It's a long weekend for me - April 30 Buddha Birthday, May 1 Labour Day and Monday is my regular off day. So I am free to join the meme.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
I'm fine with any weekend. Everyday is similar these days, stay at home most of the time.

Real Name
Eamonn
Klaus. Count me in. The amount of time I’ve not used my gear over the past 2 years is criminal. This may be the best encouragement I need. Can’t promise summer but will do my best for fun.

Latest threads

Top Bottom