Rio Grande Gorge - a D200 shot (or two)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PJohnP, Dec 30, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Across the Taos Plain, the Rio Grande River cuts a deep canyon, the Rio Grande Gorge. It's been a scene to suicides, accidents, proposals, and more than one photographer's frustration. The light's not right to get the view from the side for a fair part of the day, and it changes with the time of year as well.

Nonetheless, it's always fun to take on a challenge, I feel.

[​IMG]
    D100, 28-70mm AFS, ISO 100, stitched from three shots with Panorama Factory, postprocessed in PS-CS2 for crop, copyright, and resize

Oh ? And those photographers ? I spotted a face familiar to a few here at the Cafe. :wink: :eek: :wink:

[​IMG]
    Sensei Ron per D200, 28-70mm AFS, ISO100, processed in NC, postprocessed in PS-CS2 for crop, copyright, and resize

Always shoot, especially when the Sensei is present !

John P.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

Well, we just have to get you here for some shooting someday.

And I haven't even shown any photos yet of the piece de resistance of the day, Fridgehenge !

John P.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kevin :

I can't speak for Ron, obviously, but I think that he was using that particular 35-70mm zoom during the day at different times. AFAIK, Ron's not intrinsically against zooms, but often prefers certain primes for his shooting style and needs.

While he and I were obviously taking photographs, we were also on a day trip with our respective spouses, so it wasn't the kind of intense photographic experience that his classes offer. Fun day, lots of interesting conversation - Ron and Tomoko are delightful people.

John P.

6. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    With good light and smaller apertures, the difference between zooms and primes diminishes, of course.

It was my first time meeting Tomoko. She was extraordinary kind to my small children that my wife and I brought along to the Bosque shoot after the Taos portion of his trip.

Kevin

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kevin :

True. For me, the trade-offs for a zoom are worthwhile, especially the flexibility they offer. At the same time, I have a few primes I like to work with. Although many people have a preference, there's no rule saying we can't have both. :wink:

Ah, you were down in the Bosque. Good stuff. I'd wished to get down there, but I've been tied up with other things.

Tomoko's just a wonderfully nice lady, eh ? :biggrin:

John P.

8. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    My most frequent photos are environmental portraits of my two little kids, so I'm a big fan of the rapid focal length flexibility of zooms. The 17-55 sits on my D2Hs most of the time for this reason. However, shooting occasionally with a fast prime is rewarding as well; such as these taken with the 200/2 VR: http://kevin.hypershots.com/gallery/0000gh75

I'm planning on going back a few more times this season. Next on Jan 6th for sunrise. Send me an email next time you plan on going and perhaps we can carpool. If you drive down from Santa Fe, I can drive us from Albuquerque.
    I'm anxious to further exercise the new telephotos.

Kevin

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Kevin :

Nice shots. I'm not really much of a "people photographer" myself. You do good work with that lens.
    Well, I'd like that, but I can't predict quite when I'm going to get a day free right now. I hope to have a better idea next week. I'll be in touch on that. Thanks.

John P.

10. Phil Howell

Phil Howell Guest

Very nice photos of a great place!

I have a photographer friend, Lee Marmon, who lives in Laguna. I'm going to be visiting sometime in the near future. Maybe we can all get together sometime this year.

:smile:

11. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    I prefer wildlife and nature photography to portaits in general, however, the enjoyment of photographing my kids is an exception.

I hoping to get down there often this season. I'll watch my incoming email.

Kevin

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Phil :

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Yup, keep in touch. I've been of the mind that we need a Southwest chapter of the Cafe for outings. Maybe we can organise a big Bosque blowout of some kind...

John P.