rip curl pro pipeline masters

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by fks, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    by accident i hit the north shore during the final day of competition of the rip curl pro pipeline masters. got to watch some good surfing, along with one perfect 10 ride from the winner, andy irons (where's the video cam when you need one).

i would have had my D200 with me if i had planned things correctly, but the D2H made up for it with its speed and smaller file size (came back with ~700 photos that day).

all images taken with a D2H, 300mm f/4 AF + Kenko 1.4TC. as always, criticism is encouraged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is where the D2H excels with its fast AF and high frame rate. i monkeyed around with six shots to get this composite. the blending isn't perfect as it's not a true pan.
    [​IMG]

more images at http://ottosphotos.com/gallery/051217_hnl

ricky

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Those are great shots Ricky... I doubt the D200 would have been any better.

3. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Great shots Ricky, I don't think you could have done better!

4. Great stuff they are awesome you were really close

5. zidder

zidder

Dec 17, 2005
    Nottingham UK
    Excellent shots. I would criticise them if they weren't spot on.

6. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Those are some awsome shots Ricky.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice stuff here. wow Good job.

More :>))

The series is super.

8. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Very nice shots, you certainly got the moments right. The one that stands out for me is the one with aerial ( inverted), though the WB seems a bit off (a bit blueish), it's still a great moment, a bit different from the usual aerial shots.

I wish i could go there someday...Pipeline is a true Mecca for surfers...

Keep on the good job ! :smile:

9. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    was that a 300 f4 Af or AF-S

10. That merged shot is awesome! :biggrin: Could use a touch more contrast though.

Ming

11. FANTASTIC IMAGES.... :biggrin:

Just curiously wondering, where did you take the shots?

12. Wow, fantastic shots. These look like they are right out of a surfing magazine. Excellent.

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi all-

thanks for the kind words :) i'm always happy to share my photos with this community more than the others.

hi dave, the D200 would give me more room for cropping. a 4MP (D2H resolution) photo from the D200 would be ~1.5X crop, giving me a FOV equivalent of ~630mm. i can't wait to try it out next year :)

hi sandro, i did notice the WB being off on that one shot when i posted it, i think i need to check it. thanks for pointing it out. every time i go to Oahu, i make it a point to spend a day at the north shore to check out the surfing. hopefully you'll be able to visit and surf there one day. next goal for me is to take some photos at maverick's over here in the SF bay.

hi equetefue, it's the old AF. it's slow to focus, although the focus limiter helps a lot. the image quality is great though, a definite bargain.

hi ming, thanks for pointing out the contrast, i'll give it another shot. i found another series of photos that i'll try to merge again.

hi caleb, the photos were taken at pipeline on the north shore of Oahu, HI. pipeline is one of the legendary surfing spots, especially during the winter months.

thanks again to everyone,

ricky