RIP Nikon Coolscan V ED

Real Name
Chris
Hmmm. Then can the higher end scanners be far behind? I thought the 9000 was a fairly new product. Of course it could be that there are LOTS of V's in the pipeline.

If I had to guess, I think Nikon will be getting out of the scanner business altogether.

Real Name
Chris
That would be a bad thing imho. Nikon's coolscans are among the best short of drum scanning. I'm thinking that the V competes directly with the 5000, but sells for half as much. I can certainly see them moving away from low ticket items, especially in the film-to-digital arena.

Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
I have a 5000. It does a great job. The V is also limited to 35mm, but as you say, doesn't do as well. So I can see why Nikon is removing it from their lineup.

Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!
I agree, I have both...no wait, I have a IV and a 5000. At the time I bought the IV it made sense to have two tiers of 35mm scanning capability, now with the V priced equal or above equivalent flatbeds, there is no point for it. Five years ago flatbeds could scan prints...and that's pretty much it. I had a slide adapter for an expensive HP flatbed at that time...what a piece of crap!
I bought the 5000 because I realized how much of my life I was wasting without batch scan capability for slides...and it wasn't worth it.:rolleyes:

Is there a used version of a Nikon Scanner (for $500 or less) that warrants consideration vs. my Epson V500? Thanks! Gordon

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom