RIP Nikon Coolscan V ED

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hmmm. Then can the higher end scanners be far behind? I thought the 9000 was a fairly new product. Of course it could be that there are LOTS of V's in the pipeline.

2. Let's hope so!:biggrin:

3. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    If I had to guess, I think Nikon will be getting out of the scanner business altogether.

4. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I would have to put my bet with your guess. :frown:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That would be a bad thing imho. Nikon's coolscans are among the best short of drum scanning. I'm thinking that the V competes directly with the 5000, but sells for half as much. I can certainly see them moving away from low ticket items, especially in the film-to-digital arena.

6. Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a 5000. It does a great job. The V is also limited to 35mm, but as you say, doesn't do as well. So I can see why Nikon is removing it from their lineup.

8. I agree, I have both...no wait, I have a IV and a 5000. At the time I bought the IV it made sense to have two tiers of 35mm scanning capability, now with the V priced equal or above equivalent flatbeds, there is no point for it. Five years ago flatbeds could scan prints...and that's pretty much it. I had a slide adapter for an expensive HP flatbed at that time...what a piece of crap!
    I bought the 5000 because I realized how much of my life I was wasting without batch scan capability for slides...and it wasn't worth it.:rolleyes:

9. Is there a used version of a Nikon Scanner (for $500 or less) that warrants consideration vs. my Epson V500? Thanks! Gordon