RIP Nikon Coolscan V ED

Real Name
Chris
Hmmm. Then can the higher end scanners be far behind? I thought the 9000 was a fairly new product. Of course it could be that there are LOTS of V's in the pipeline.

If I had to guess, I think Nikon will be getting out of the scanner business altogether.

Real Name
Chris
That would be a bad thing imho. Nikon's coolscans are among the best short of drum scanning. I'm thinking that the V competes directly with the 5000, but sells for half as much. I can certainly see them moving away from low ticket items, especially in the film-to-digital arena.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
I have a 5000. It does a great job. The V is also limited to 35mm, but as you say, doesn't do as well. So I can see why Nikon is removing it from their lineup.

Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!
I agree, I have both...no wait, I have a IV and a 5000. At the time I bought the IV it made sense to have two tiers of 35mm scanning capability, now with the V priced equal or above equivalent flatbeds, there is no point for it. Five years ago flatbeds could scan prints...and that's pretty much it. I had a slide adapter for an expensive HP flatbed at that time...what a piece of crap!
I bought the 5000 because I realized how much of my life I was wasting without batch scan capability for slides...and it wasn't worth it.:rolleyes:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom