1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

RIP Nikon Coolscan V ED

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by W.Ray, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hmmm. Then can the higher end scanners be far behind? I thought the 9000 was a fairly new product. Of course it could be that there are LOTS of V's in the pipeline.

2. Let's hope so!:biggrin:

3. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    If I had to guess, I think Nikon will be getting out of the scanner business altogether.

4. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I would have to put my bet with your guess. :frown:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That would be a bad thing imho. Nikon's coolscans are among the best short of drum scanning. I'm thinking that the V competes directly with the 5000, but sells for half as much. I can certainly see them moving away from low ticket items, especially in the film-to-digital arena.

6. Chris, the difference between scans from the V and 5000 is like day and night! Not even in the same class. The 5000 scans 35mm as well as the 9000!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have a 5000. It does a great job. The V is also limited to 35mm, but as you say, doesn't do as well. So I can see why Nikon is removing it from their lineup.

8. I agree, I have both...no wait, I have a IV and a 5000. At the time I bought the IV it made sense to have two tiers of 35mm scanning capability, now with the V priced equal or above equivalent flatbeds, there is no point for it. Five years ago flatbeds could scan prints...and that's pretty much it. I had a slide adapter for an expensive HP flatbed at that time...what a piece of crap!
    I bought the 5000 because I realized how much of my life I was wasting without batch scan capability for slides...and it wasn't worth it.:rolleyes: 

9. Is there a used version of a Nikon Scanner (for $500 or less) that warrants consideration vs. my Epson V500? Thanks! Gordon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.