Rite of Spring

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Nov 1, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

In about 180 days, these flowers will appear again, and in the meantime, I can ponder on how I'm going to capture them the next time.

Last time it was like this,

[​IMG]

Nikon D1X, Rodenstock 50 mm f/0.75 lens

What I didn't notice during the intense shooting itself, was that I sprawled just beneath a hazel tree with fully developed catkins. That is, I understood this 24 hours later when I woke up in a hospital bed after suffering a severe, life-threatening asthma attack. Luckily I wasn't alone on this assignment, so my buddy managed to haul me to the nearest road and called for an ambulance. I was unconscious and had absolutely no idea of what was going on.

Next time I'll have a cautious look around the selected location :smile:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OMG Bjorn,

Talk about getting INTO your work.

Be careful friend.

Glad you are ok

Oh yeah great flower by the way :>)))

3. Bjorn,

I think you know how much you're valuable to the photography community and to this forum. So be careful, Sir.

Artful and tasteful picture. Inspiring for me. Thanks for sharing.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Wild photo and wild story Bjorn. Glad you made it!

Thanks for sharing.

5. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just beautiful !
    The thin DOF of 50mm f0.75 facinates me, the composition and the framing are great, just love it.

6. The colors are stunning, it's a powerful composition.

7. Beautiful colors/composition/presentation :smile:

Hope it was worth the trip to the hospital...:frown: asthma & nature photography not a good combo sometimes..:eek:

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You're telling me:mad: But I have managed to go on with this combination for at least 25 years.

And I'm quite pleased with this image, actually. Sold many times, too.

9. Yes i understand that you sold that photo a few times. It is very colerful and looks nice. I don't know what catkins are. But it must be given you scary time.

10. Rodenstockography is gonna GRAB ME sooner-or-later

....I feel it coming on....I just GOTTA try this.....help!!

There really is such an involving complexity in these photos -- I'm stuck on that little "sharp" curve of light over on the right side -- Fort intéressant.

Nfoto, remember_not_to_breathe_near_hazels !! (...are you able to pack inhalers, etc?)
    Cheers -- Anne Di.
    (aka Andrea B.)

11. forgot to ask What Flower Is This? (nt)

Cheers -- Anne Di.

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It is Hepatica nobilis (English name "Liverleaf"), which flowers in late March or early April. Since it is thriving on calcareous rocks it is not among the common flowers in Norway and it is protected by Law. However, in my region, around the Oslo Fjord, it is quite widespread and will flower in snow as well. See the picture below, taken a few days earlier,

Hepatica in Spring Snow

Again, Nikon D1X and the 50/0.75 Heligon

Another Liverleaf from the same session coming up,

View attachment 17604

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This species (Hepatica nobilis) is infamous amongst nature photographers for the difficult to capture colours of its pretty flowers. There is a reason for this which is elaborated here,

http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_HEPA_NOB.html

Such early-flowering species need to advertise to attract pollinators, hence their strong UV signals, and they focus IR within the floral disc to "heat" the temperature-sensitive sexual organs as well. Nature has lots of adaptions if you care to look after the signs.:smile:

14. I know that from my own humble attempts to capture it. Here in Austria it is one of the most common spring flowers in the forests, that's why it's not in the Red List here.

Your pics displayed in this thread are of the finest - as usual.
    Cheers

15. Newcomb's shows H. americana here, also referred to as "Liverleaf", but unfortunately I have never seen one myself. This UV/IR is very intriguing. Thanks for the extra pictures of your H. nobilis.