1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

River City Revolution with 200-400

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by audu67, Sep 23, 2008.

1. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Here's a couple of shots from this weekend's tournament. Tried NX2 on these. Any advice is welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I really liek the 2nd one maybe just a tad of levels adjustment but perfectly fine the way it is the 200-400 is such a versatile lens sure wish I didnt sell mine

3. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow ... I would be thrilled with shots like these .... nice stuff donald ! .... if you really want to get picky i think you could bring up the shadows a bit in shot 1 but thats splitting hairs ....

4. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    #2 really stands out with the goalies expression. Great timing !

5. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Thanks Mike. I'll work on the levels. I'm really enjoying the 200-400.

Thanks Topher. I agree the shadows are a little too much. I guess I should learn trust my eyes a little more.

Chris,

Now if I could just hit the "timing" a little more often. Right now, It's more of an accident when I catch one of these.

6. These are great....!

Can we see more? I have been vasilating between a 200-400VR/200 2VR combination, or a 300VR/500VR....

I am very interested in seeing more 200-400 sports images.

Thanks,
    GenoP

7. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Thanks Geno,

I'll post some more as I sort though and PP. You may get tired of seeing soccer photos(using the 200-400) of my grandson's team before this season's over. At this point I'm probably taking too many shots and getting too many "Butts" and not enough "Eyes".

8. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I like the subject captures (good timing, good expressions), but they appear too contrasty to me. The blacks are hammered to (0,0,0) which means no detail at all in any of the dark areas and no possibility of recovering from a JPEG. I'd rather see some detail there. They are also a touch oversaturated for my tastes, but I realize that is a personal preference thing.

The shots are high dynamic range (bright whites and dark shadows), so if you shot JPEG, you might need to turn the contrast down in the camera in order to keep more of the shadows and highlights. You can always add more contrast in post processing if you need it, but you can't recover detail from highlights and shadows in JPEGs if it's slammed to (0,0,0) or (255,255,255).

If you shot RAW, you may be able to recover some detail in the shadows with different RAW converter settings and perhaps turn down the contrast. When I shoot hard daylight soccer, I often change the default contrast setting in Lightroom from 25 down to 10 and then add back in a little contrast if a particular shot needs it. This helps me keep my shadows and highlights intact.

9. Thanks....

GenoP

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I echo what the others have offered, the action and saturation is really good, but I also think the contrast is a bit too much. I enjoyed viewing these shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.