Roar and Rumble

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Commodorefirst, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    or RR or trains.

This was the last of a very unusual day shooting a very different mixture of things with just one lens. The 180mm AF-D ED f2.8 Prime. I shot Pelicans, (bird forum) flora and flowers (photos over there) and finished up the day taking pics of this fast moving coal train (around 45mph estimated).

A very unusual day. I purposefully went out with just one lens for fun and weight, and I handled nearly everything I tried to take a photo of.

here are three in a row, AF-C f4 on the aperture, JPG, Auto WB -2, D70, and I took a series of about 20-30 shots from way down the tracks to right on top of me, and the "slow" focusing AF lens and "slow" focusing D70 did just fine on this moving train. All shots were in focus.

I Shot right along side the tracks, I plan on taking care of the flare from the headlights sometime in PS. Never thought about that problem as the train was plowing towards me. lol

number 2 is my favorite. Love the exhaust and dust blowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wade

These are nice images. If find ageeting a good angle on trains particularly hard for some reason - I don't know why. You seemed to have got it right here, particularly with the 1st image.

Well done.

Pete

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Nice train shots , I like # 1 best because of the saturation.

4. Wade, I think you did great with these. I like #1 best but because of minor difference in composition. Nice!!

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nicely done on all 3, Wade! I have a slight personal preference the composition in number 1 -- I like the little bit of extra scenery to the right of the engine. Well done!

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Don, Kevin, Biggs, Pete, thanks for looking and commenting. While I still like number two due to the dust, you all are correct in the best composition is number 1, and it did have the best color of the lot.

The train was moving in and out of shadows/sun rapidly so the auto WB was getting a real workout.

thanks again for the looks, and giving some me some balance to my viewpoints composition wise, I was so enamored with the dust, exhaust, I didn't even worry about selecting the images based upon moving from right to left in the frame and giving some negative space on the right side of the image. lol :redface: usually I tend to be the composition harper. :smile:

thanks, Cheers,

Wade

7. #1 is my favorite also. Nicely done.