1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Roarrrrr.....

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Frits, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I was sitting under the stars this evening with our cat Charlo. We were just shooting the breeze and I mentioned the great lens I have on its way to me.
    After a while he couldn't stand it anymore and just yawned.....I guess he figured that the one on the camera tonight is as good as it gets. I guess he is right too :biggrin:.

All: D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 105mm f/2.5
    original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    105mm    f/5.6    1/125s    ISO 100

original.

100% crop, so you can see what he means :smile::
    original.

2. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Talk about tack sharp!!! That yawn picture could be used in a veterinary anatomy book. :biggrin:

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If you look in a photography book for the definition of "tack sharp", you'll see these images there!:eek: 

4. Now that's impressive!

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow, they are sharp. Both the pics and the teeth. Beautiful cat.

6. Now, THAT's a yawn for you!! Nice toothies there, too! My Harry, being an elderly Siamese, doesn't have such purty toothies any more -- the few that are left aren't particularly photogenic.

Great photos! Harry, who is sitting on my lap right now, gazed at them thoughtfully.....

7. Nice!
    Also possible that you told him a joke so that he burst out laughing?

8. Now THAT'S sharp! (The teeth too.) Beautiful captures of a great looking cat. They almost have a 3D look to them.

9. WOW, Frits!!!! Talk about SHARP! Talk about BEAUTIFUL! Keep those Charlo pics comin!

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Frits,

I have never seen such a close-up!! First, what a great cat!! I want to see more images of Charlo!!!

Second, what an incredible job of nailing the focus in the middle of a yawn!!

Third, last but not least, the lens isn't half bad, either!!

11. Thanks John!
    Here is one I like of Charlo. His hair is longer here, we have him shaven in the spring.

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    180mm    f/4.0    1/15s    ISO 100

12. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Frits, it's because of your testimonial yesterday in the 105mm 2.5 for sale ad that convinced me to buy it (it should be here tomorrow or Friday). Hope I can get a nice focus like you did there with Charlo!

Lisa

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Oh, Man!!! Charlo is an absolute knockout!!!!

14. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Way to go, Lisa!! I saw you bought that fine lens a day or 2 ago. I did not realize just how sharp an image it could produce until Frits' series tonight. You made a great decision to buy this lens!!

15. Congratulations on your new lens Lisa! I have had and have some of Nikon's finest glass and the 105 / 2.5 is among the very top.
    Take a look in this thread. The lighting is not the greatest, but look down in the thread for a 100% crop. No lens performs better, only few equal it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Thank you both. I'm heading to that link now Frits. This will be my very first manual focus Nikon lens. Hope it's not the start of a long love affair with chasing down a bunch of AIS lenses :biggrin:

17. The 105mm f/2.5 is one of Nikon's best lenses, no two ways about it. I had that lens on my "must-buy" list for a long time and finally this spring was able to obtain it locally. Wonderful lens! You will love it!

18. If I may, this is what this lens excels in: portraits.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Right you are Connie!
    Come to think of it, I shot Connie's avatar with it also :smile::

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 105mm f/2.5
    original.

20. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Oh boy! I'm eager now to get it!
    Thanks Connie for the vote of confidence on that lens!

Lisa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.