Rob Galbraith Finds Serious MK III Focus Flaws

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by jfenton, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    At least I'd call them serious as they're related to shooting things in motion.....

RG goes so far as to call this cameras AF "Fundamentaly Broken".

The interesting part is that they are far worse in bright, warm conditions?

This occurred not only on the preproduction models they tested but on production models as well.

The lengthy text was posted yesterday and can be found at:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006

I'm so glad I didn't jump. Not that this couldn't happen with Nikon gear as I've certainly had my issues with their focus algorithms in the past.....

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jim-

the problem with being an early adopter (though aren't we all with digital) :Smile:. canon's new AF sounds complex, and it looks like the firmware needs a little tweaking. give it time and they will fix the issues.

hopefully nikon won't have the same problem with the D3-series.

ricky

3. Ugh! I recently got to hold and shoot one of these. Unfortunately, we were shooting trees, flowers, and rocks, so I couldn't test the camera on birds. It produces amazingly clean images, with barely visible noise at 1600 iso.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Sure hope they have that figured out by October...that's when mine shows up. :)

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Somehow "Fundamentally Broken"

Doesn't sound like a firmware fix.....I've never seen firmware affected by ambient temperature :)

6. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

gets worse with heat makes me think about IR affecting focus somehow, although canon seems to always have IR blocked pretty well.

7. Hopefully his "outing" this issue will draw Canon's attention to what's going on and get a fix for those suffering. Still interesting that many aren't having issues. That makes it seem as though it's a bad batch problem, rather than an across the board problem.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Kevin

Perhaps some folks aren't using it in a situation which would show it...or aren't savy enough to notice.

I've seen a awlful lot of stuff that folks considered good enough which would never make our culls.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I have seen several over at NSN posting some great shots with the 1dmrkIII and a few who have over 8k clicks if I recall. Still hear of different stories with different situations a lot. I am inclined at the moment to think it is a batch issue as well but..we will know soon enough:biggrin:

Did you get a d2hs jim?

10. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I would definitely put a hold on any order for this camera right now. Seems like more then a few are mighty pissed and with good reason!

11. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Hardware can be affected by temperature, which firmware algorithms and mappings can compensate for.

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    MKIII owners not savy enough to notice? I think we would all agree that most of the folks that own this $4500 camera are professionals. Most are professional sports photogs.....my guess is they would notice right quick....and a few have. You see any similarities to this and a D200 banding scam?

Well, we heard it here first I guess.....ther MKIII is simply garbage and should be ignored as a serious camera for sports or BIF or any work involving movement of any kind.....get a D2Hs instead.

13. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks for the advice.

14. I very much doubt that, most early adopters might be Gadget-freaks with more then enough money :Crunk:

The Pros I know wait for the second or third batch before using something new............

15. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The pros I know own them. However, more to your point, only one guy made the leap to using it for "money work". :wink:

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Its kind of funny. When I got my first dslr I initially wanted the 10D but got the 100D because of focusing issues with the 10D.

Now that Canon finally had a camera that had me considering going over to Canon that one has focusing issues. :frown:

I guess its back to waiting for Nikon to release a F/U to the D2H.

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Howdy GBR

Now now....I never said the Mk III was garbage and I've seriously considered moving to one myself.

I am simply bring RG's posting to peoples attention and as I stated.....I feel bad for the early adopters just as much as I would / did for the early Nikon D2X adopters which showed AF issues.

I still can't tell anyone that I won't try one on for size, once the reported issues are acknowledged / taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  18. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I know....I know but gosh your previous post suggesting that MKIII users weren't savy enough to catch focus errors surprised me. :biggrin::biggrin:

Every new machine seems to have errors these days. Canon had some issues with 5D originally if I recall, they released the MKIIn to cover up an intermittent AF problem in the MKII. I Think there were some issues with the D2X and I lived through the D200 banding issue.

It'll all work out in time I am certain....It seems with these forums, every issue gets a lot of airtime. October would be a good time to have this one fixed.....:wink:

19. joe_boyd

joe_boyd

Aug 10, 2006
    I expect Canon will get this problem taken care of pretty quickly. They have the deep pockets to make it right, when they find a solution, and a deep need to protect the cred of the MKIII. The MKIII has the wherewithal to knock Nikon completely out of the PJ scrum, if the MKIII works as advertised, and Nikon can't respond quickly.

This is yet another example of incredibly complex systems getting into the hands of users and uncovering "big" problems. The "bleeding" edge of technology.

I'd expect that most "pros" are still evaluating the MKIII and are still using their MKII for paying gigs. If they sold their MKII to buy a MKIII, they may not be getting paid, soon. I don't know of too many companies that immediately threw out their XP systems, when the Vista boxes hit the receiving dock. Same deal here. You don't replace your old tools until you know the new ones will do the job better. And for those that are waiting for someone else to do the testing (AKA GBR), you're not losing any money not having a MKIII.