1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rob Galbraith's family shooting with Nikon 1

Discussion in 'Nikon 1 System' started by AndyE, Nov 7, 2011.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
  2. OpenBloom

OpenBloom

Jun 6, 2008
    KY
    There's an eerie silence coming from certain forums lately, regarding the Nikon 1. I suppose they're eating their crow so they have no ability to speak at the moment? No, it's not a perfect camera, but yes, Nikon was not blowing smoke up our rear ends with the claims about the abilities of this camera. :) 

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    DigitalRev (underapreciated by many) had a pretty good review. Especially since the pro who liked it showed how he could get shots with with it that are nearly impossible to get with other cameras.

4. Been waiting for more user reviews, this one was great, I have the V1 and am still learning from other users what this impressive camera can achieve.

5. Aside from the impressive specs that the new V series boasts, I've not once been anything but underwhelmed with sample results. I don't know what it is but, they all seem rather flat and well... typical of a lot of other point and shoot camera's. Maybe thus far it has been the person behind the camera's, but I'm always left saying "blah". I've seen better samples from much less expensive P&S, higher ISO's aside.

It's not even the high ISO shots that I have an issue with, as 1600 looks perfectly usable, detail and all. But unlike the shots I've seen from the likes of the Oly EP-3 or the Sony NEX 5/5N, there's really nothing that makes the shots from the V series stand out and say "signature look".

That of course is just my opinion. But I won't be changing it until I see otherwise. I also think that if the V series hadn't been bashed from the start, people would be less bashful in terms of calling it as they see it. But since it has this stigma attached to it already, I think that people are less apt to say anything out of fear that they're just jumping on a popular band wagon. Just sayin'.

From what I can see, the images produced are equal to that *given that the ISO isn't 1600* of my wife's Canon S95 (I think that's what it is).

Doug

6. Thorsten

Thorsten Moderator Moderator

Same here. I've tried out the V1 and J1 yesterday, and handling and response time were great and close to DSLR and very unlike P+S. But the images look more like P+S.

I had a Canon S95 - images were fine for a P+S, but the response time killed it for me (not that this model is any worse than other P+S of course). Turn it on, wait for lens to come out, press zoom button, wait for motor zoom to work, then wait for the focus etc. The kids are long gone by then. So in this respect, the image from the V1 would be very different than from the S95: The V1 image would have my kids in the frame in mid action with expressive faces, while the S95 image would show the empty field, with one leg at the edge, just walking out. :wink: I sold the S95 since I could get the shot faster with my iPhone4, and IQ is good enough for web and 4x6 prints. Now the Nikon V1 would be a clear step up, unfortunately also in price...

7. I had the chance to play with the V1 and J1 on Saturday, and I must say I was incredibly surprised. I have not had an opportunity to play with files from the cameras, but in the "responsive" arena, I was amazed. At the same time I was able to handle a Sony NEX 5n, a Panny GF2/GF3/G(the one with the EVF), and from a handling standpoint they were all pretty darned nice.

8. His results are fairly impressive. Eating crow should definitely be on the agenda of quite a few folks who poo poo'ed the camera before seeing/reading what it could do.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  9. That is a darn useful review. Thanks.

10. I find his D7000, G3, and the V1 @ 300mm equivalent side view of the camera's really compelling.

11. Well, the focal length is measured from the focal plane to the sensor.

The V1 lens focal length is 110mm , but yet it is being compared to 200mm and 300mm. Kind of comparing 1 inch vs 3 inches, doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

"but the sensor crop factor is 2.7x!"

It doesn't matter if the crop factor was 6x, it will not change the focal length to 600mm and allow a side by side comparison with a 500mm F/4 VR

That whole side by side lens comparison is so deceitful.

12. Thorsten

Thorsten Moderator Moderator

How about comparing the images you will get from a V1 and D7000, each having a 110mm lens. Does this really make more sense to you? It's about the images, right? And not the mm between sensor and lens?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.