Robber Flies ad nauseum (not for the faint of heart)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Robber flies are becoming bolder. Had one attach to the underside of my lens hood today, also to my pantsleg (several times). Here one is feeding on a honey bee. The fly in the second photo is attached to the inside of my tripod leg, so removed the camera, 2 flashes, etc. and attempted a hand held shot, thus the latter is somewhat shaky. Darned flashes won't fit between the tripod legs too well either! So, after all of these excuses, here they are for what they are worth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great images.

Leg of tripod.. All of mine should look so (awful ???) lolol

Good shot, clear..

Great job.

Nasty little critters aren't they.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    WOW, these are *both* great captures! I've never seen a Robber Fly before. Nasty looking critters, aren't they? What part of the US do you live in, anyway?

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jerry,

As usual your picture posts are without equal.

Excellent job!

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Steve, Robber Flies are quite common and you likely have them in or near your backyard (assuming that you have one, of course) at some time or another. I live in Cincinnati (your next door neighbor!).

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks Gale, Patrick for the comments. Got about a dozen good ones of the robber flies in this session but didn't want to inundate you with gore and different prey. However, all of the photos begin to look alike after 2 or 3, and didn't want to be accused of having a trained fly :smile:

7. Jerry you get all the cool insects, I have them in my yard but there pretty jumpy and I haven't been able to get a shot of the bigger ones.

Well done Jerry, great pictures I will check the gallery for the rest.

Martin