Robin Wong reviews the E-P5!

Everything about the ep5 looks good except the price, the grip, and availability.

I'm on a trip, and decided to take my d700 plus 2 primes. Looking at the results, it was worth carrying a big rig instead of the ep3 kit. I hope it will be a different story with the ep5.

Everything about the ep5 looks good except the price, the grip, and availability.

I'm on a trip, and decided to take my d700 plus 2 primes. Looking at the results, it was worth carrying a big rig instead of the ep3 kit. I hope it will be a different story with the ep5.
Frank,

How long did you have the EM5? The image quality of the E-P5 will be exactly the same as the ,EM5. The only differences being the better viewfinder(VF-4) if attached and some of the new features(real focus peaking,higher shutter speed etc...) but image quality does not appear to be any different from the reviews I have read. I know the feeling though, every-time I go back to my D700 I wonder why I ever leave it at home...Oh yeah it's BIG...:biggrin:

Frank,

How long did you have the EM5? The image quality of the E-P5 will be exactly the same as the ,EM5. The only differences being the better viewfinder(VF-4) if attached and some of the new features(real focus peaking,higher shutter speed etc...) but image quality does not appear to be any different from the reviews I have read. I know the feeling though, every-time I go back to my D700 I wonder why I ever leave it at home...Oh yeah it's BIG...:biggrin:
I had the em5 for 2 1/2 months. Loved the iq and features, not so much the ergos and styling. But it wasn't a challenger to the d700. The d700 is big, but not unmanageable with a small kit. I'm traveling with the 35/2, 85/1.4, and sb400.

I got to fondle a pre-production model two weeks ago. I've never owned any camera with an EVF. Despite what he says that the sensors of the VF-4 were almost instant, I have to say it was very perceptible and irritating. Maybe that's because I've shot only Slr's. I have to say that the focus peaking feature falls under adjectives such as cool, awesome, amazing, I wish Nikon would do that, etc. The focus peaking, I can see, will be an extreme improvement for manual focus lenses and follow focusing for video.

What I don't understand, is that when you put the VF4 on the camera, it is almost the same form factor as the OM-D. With the EVF it is extremely ugly. But I can't see this camera as anything but being in direct competition with the company's own product. Update the OM-D with firmware that allows the same focus peaking feature and BAM! You have essentially the same product.

What I don't understand, is that when you put the VF4 on the camera, it is almost the same form factor as the OM-D. With the EVF it is extremely ugly. But I can't see this camera as anything but being in direct competition with the company's own product. Update the OM-D with firmware that allows the same focus peaking feature and BAM! You have essentially the same product.
To my eyes, the ep5 easily wins the beauty contest, but more importantly, its ergonomics are better suited to my large hands.

You may be shocked by the price of the em6. Oly is positioning itself as a premium line, just like Fuji.

Oly is positioning itself as a premium line, just like Fuji.
The problem is that everybody knows the prices on µ4/3 cameras drops to half of its original price in a year or two. Hard to be premium when you wind up giving things away. (In the long run, I think Olympus would have been better off dumping unsold excess stock down a mine shaft.)

To my eyes, the ep5 easily wins the beauty contest, but more importantly, its ergonomics are better suited to my large hands.

You may be shocked by the price of the em6. Oly is positioning itself as a premium line, just like Fuji.
Umm, they are almost exactly the same size and form factor. Check them out on www.camerasize.com The bodies are almost exactly the same dimensions. If you add the EVF the PEN is a slight bit bigger but only in that section. And it definitely ruins the look of the PEN. The PEN will fit hands just them same as the OM-D. I felt little to no difference in my hands.

Just to restate, the PEN is ugly compared to the OM-D WITH the EVF on. Absent the EVF it looks better. I tried my friend's Panasonic without a viewfinder and I kept banging my eye into the camera body out of habit. So for me a viewfinder is necessary. Then again I always thought the original film PEN was ugly too. Now the digital version is classic ugly. The way a camera looks has never factored into my decision to buy a camera. If I were choosing between the PEN with EVF and an OM-D I would choose the PEN because the viewfinder and screen swivels and taking photos from different perspectives is something I'm always exploring.

I know I said it before, but I'm excited for the PEN if for nothing else the focus peaking. I'm hoping that it percolates into other camera systems that interests me more. I think Oly has a winner in that feature.

Umm, they are almost exactly the same size and form factor. Check them out on www.camerasize.com The bodies are almost exactly the same dimensions.

the hard data only tells part of the story. the d700 and d800 look almost identical aswell but the d700 felt far more comfortable in my hands than a d800 does.

If you add the EVF the PEN is a slight bit bigger but only in that section. And it definitely ruins the look of the PEN. The PEN will fit hands just them same as the OM-D. I felt little to no difference in my hands.
the difference is that you dont need to have the VF on. when you want it you put it on, when you dont the vf can come off and tuck away. with an omd you cant do that. the omd vf is also pretty ordinary compared to the vf4. i also dont like the buttons on the omd at all. they are too smal land squishy.

i agonised over the omd cos i think its a pretty camera but ultimately, i didnt like the feel of it nor the bulk of the hump.

its all personal preferance, if you're going to always use the VF, then its a pretty easy decision imo, get the omd. for me personally, i had never used a serious non-VF camera until the epl5, within a few days i acclimatised to the screen and find the touch screen af to be far more useful in the field for fast and accurate focus where i want it to be. i wont buy a camera without touch focus now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom