Robins (European)

The most conspicuous woodland birds at this time of year, because both males and females hold territories and sing vigourously.

PenningtonFl005_295.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But you get closer views from a hide.

PenningtonFl004b_004.jpg

PenningtonFl005_169.jpg

Alan

Alan, very nice shots of a pretty bird. I wish we had some of them around here. There are so many American robins - perhaps 80% or more of the birds I see on a daily basis.

Wonderful images, spirited little guy. Funny how our robins are fully red underneath, and yours have bibs. Nice to study foreign birds. More?

Lovely Alan. Number 1 really gives a feeling for the bird's spunky character. I especially like #2 for the lighting and the delicate feather detail.

Thank you all for your comments.

What was your set-up on these shots?

D200 & 300mm f/4 AT-S, on monopod for first shot and resting on hide window sill for the other two. I meant to add that, but I forgot :redface:

different than the north american robins
They look somewhat like our Eastern Bluebird.

Our robins are grouped with the chats and redstarts. This group was thought to be related to the thrush family (of course your robin is a proper thrush); but they have now been moved in with the Old World flycatchers - so it's not closely related to a New World species. Of course whenever English speaking people have visited another part of the world and spotted a medium-sized bird with a red or orange breast they have called it a robin. There are dozens of 'robins' around the world.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom