Critique Rocamadour

Stunning village in the Lot Valley in France. Pilgrimage site on the way to Santiago de Compostela. Famous for its goat cheese and black madonna.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Looks like a spectacular location. The pictures are sharp and very colorful.

Which lens are you using on your D5300?
Thanks!!

Believe it or not, it was the 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3. I have since passed that combo on to my 14 year old daughter, now a fellow Nikonian.. I just bought a Z50 with the 2-lens package and the 50mm 1.8 Z lens for my upcoming trip to Madrid in April. Can't wait to put it through its paces.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Very interesting place! Looks like you had great weather. In many of the scenes, there seems to be excess - to me - polarization. Especially on wide shots, the sky shifts from a darker blue to lighter blue from side to side, a common problem when using a polarizer on wide angle shots. And the color of the skies sometimes looks unnaturally dark.

Tip: When posting a large number of images, numbering each image really helps viewers comment on individual images.

Very interesting place! Looks like you had great weather. In many of the scenes, there seems to be excess - to me - polarization. Especially on wide shots, the sky shifts from a darker blue to lighter blue from side to side, a common problem when using a polarizer on wide angle shots. And the color of the skies sometimes looks unnaturally dark.

Tip: When posting a large number of images, numbering each image really helps viewers comment on individual images.
Thanks for the comments. What would you suggest (besides not using them on wide-angle lenses, which seems to be a recurring theme) about the use of polarizers? I seem to just leave them on lenses as a reflex whenever in bright sunlight.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the comments. What would you suggest (besides not using them on wide-angle lenses, which seems to be a recurring theme) about the use of polarizers? I seem to just leave them on lenses as a reflex whenever in bright sunlight.
Polarizers are great for reducing/eliminating unwanted reflections on water, wet leaves, windows etc. They require an additional stop of light, so they can help achieve a slower shutter speed when that is desired. They can help clouds pop on a blue sky. I tend to put a polarizer on the lens only when I feel I need to. Polarizers can also cause problems including vignettes. Maybe this article will help.

Real Name
Carl
Polarizers are great for reducing/eliminating unwanted reflections on water, wet leaves, windows etc. They require an additional stop of light, so they can help achieve a slower shutter speed when that is desired. They can help clouds pop on a blue sky. I tend to put a polarizer on the lens only when I feel I need to. Polarizers can also cause problems including vignettes. Maybe this article will help.

Very good article, Karen. Thanx! One other point,,,CPLs and other filters are flare monsters waiting to pounce, if you should be shooting into the Sun! Lens hoods forever! ;)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom