1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Rocks

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Binnur, Nov 5, 2018.

1. I actually uploaded three images in the past by using those rocks as a subject, but they all differ from each other because of the shooting angle . This image is the last one from the same location. I didn't sharpen the image very much as the surface of the rocks would look very crisp. Comments welcome :) 

If you want to see the other three images, here they are:

Critique - Same rocks with different composition
    Critique - Some more rocks
    Rocks on the road to Balıklıova

IMG_9148.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. As usual, this is really nice. Better yet, the photos of the same spot make a very nice series. It will be fun to see how many completely different renditions of the scene you can come up with.

3. Thanks for looking an commenting Mike. Using different focal lengths , using some filters and applying different PP create a lot of different scenes of the same subject. Like you create so many nice and different images from the same wine bottle with different set ups. That's why I love photography so much.

4. I love the way you've worked this location to produce significantly different images. Of course my preference is for the lovely color version that you posted previously. I rarely do B/W so can't offer much in the way of critique. I do like the composition of this one. My only other thought is that smoothing the water with a long ss might have made the texture of the rocks stand out more. But overall another nice image of that location.

5. Beautifully captured scene, Binnur!
    Great composition and processing.

With such an interesting subjects and setting, the number of different takes you can make must be significant.
    I imagine keeping the same point of view and just let the light change might already make for an intriguing series.
    (I think someone tried this with a cathedral :) )

6. Thanks for looking and commenting Dan. I too would like to have smoothed the water but my focal length was 8 mm and my lens which I used for this shot was convex .That's why I couldn't use an ND filter on top of it.

7. Thank you Bart. I'm glad that you like the image.

8. Excellent photograph...I like how the landscape appears almost other-worldly!

Glenn

9. Would it be possible to use a step up ring and a filter that is larger than your lens? I'm thinking that the step up ring might create enough distance between the filter and the lens to allow using the filter.

10. Like it a lot. My first thought was of hands reaching up; but Bart's mention of a cathedral is most apt. I wonder if rocks such as this may have inspired early cathedral/temple/mosque builders? Nicely done.

11. Thank you very much Glenn. You are right that the look of the rocks there is interesting .

12. I wish such a thing was possible Mike. I read about some filter/filter holder solutions on some photography forums when I bought my lens. But similar solutions to yours have some difficulties like creating very heavy vignettes with the focal lengths smaller than 12-14 mm(full frame). Also my standart Lee filter set doesn't fit that special big filter holders. That's why I decided not to use any filters with my 8-16 mm UWA lens . I also have a Tokina 11-16 lens which I can easily use my filter set .When I want to use my filters I don't go for ultra wide angle compositions and I stick with my Tokina lens.

13. Thank you Nick.I'm glad that you like the image. I think interesting shape of the rocks caused by the wiping waves . Such rocks really might have been an inspiratrion for some artists /architects in the past ,considering that they were inspiration even for an amateur photographer like me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.