Rocky Mountain National Park Lens?

Will be heading there next 8/16 for a week. Will have a D7100, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, flash filters, tripod and about everything I can fit in my backpack. My quandary is do I lug the big 200-400 with me or would I even need it. Anything else I would need?

Thanks
Mike

I was there last weekend but just for a day. There are lots of places where you can view the wildlife. We saw some big horn rams that were close enough to get with my 70-200. Spending a week, I think you will find many times to use the big lens but if you are only backpacking, it may be too much to carry. Do you have a TC for your 70-200?
Pete

Late response - but the elk start migrating in late August before Labor Day. A long lens can be very useful. Pretty spectacular around dusk on weekdays - park was pretty empty and you could watch the elk. Had a Sigma 150-500 with me but wish I had a faster long lens.

Stay into evening and the STARS ARE AMAZING. You're high up and the background light is minimal.

The 200-400 is a great lens but lugging it through airports and carrying it can be a pain. Was a great lens for shots down into ruins in places like Canyon de Chelley and wildlife in places like Yellowstone.

Latest threads

Top Bottom