Rocky Mountain National Park

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by cwilt, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The family took a weekend out of our busy lives and went to the park.

Just after exiting I-70 and headed for Grand Lake we spotted some big horn sheep. The sun was setting and they were on the shady side of the mountain. They just wouldn't give me a face shot. Must have been dinner time.

161575262-O.

A little further up the road I spotted some running water and decided to get the tripod out for a few shots.

162379830-O.

We stayed at our friends cabin who had invited us to come for the weekend. Before heading out the next day I noticed a lot of humming birds in the area. I caught this guy with a 50mm. Not the best shot, but its my first hummer.

162387993-O.

We decided to take a little hike before the heat of the day and we found this meadow.

162767397-O.

After a nice lunch we headed into the park. Where we saw a few moose...

162379652-O.

162379702-O.

Plenty of elk....

162379897-O.

162382484-O.

The big surprise were the mountain goats, which I have never seen there before. They were at about 11,000 feet.

162379387-O.

162379371-O.

As you go up to the top of the highest paved road, you will see scenes likes this. When we reached the top it was snowing. I didn't take any pictures at the top of Trail Ridge because I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. :rolleyes:

162768045-O.

Back at the cabin we had a nice dinner and spent time with our good friends until bed time. The next day meant it was time to head for home. Before we left the kids wanted to do a few more things.

Like fishing....

162767889-O.

and going to a guest ranch to feed and pet the horses.

162767840-O.

We had a great time and I hope you enjoyed the short story.:smile:

2. what a great set of images. This had to be a most enjoyable trip for all of you.
    A hummer at 50mm! very impressive!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    How wonderful
    What did the children think of the wildlife, Moose, elk etc...
    what a great experience
    Beautiful images.
    Thanks for sharing

4. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Charles

Lovely part of the woods you wandered into. And a lovely series of pics
    to share.

My favorite, though, is the hummer!!

Regards.

5. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    Very nice series Charles....makes me want to jump in the car and head up there, right now! I think you did really well on your first Hummer capture.

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It was a very good trip. We need to do more of this.

The kids love animals. This was Logans first close encounter with elk. He thought they were some kind of horse and wanted to ride them. LOL

It is a lovely place. Next time, maybe we will come from the other side and get the rest of the park.

You should. There was a lot of elk.:wink:

7. Charles, I loved your series. Thank you for sharing your weekend with us.
    Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my favorite places.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    That's my kind of trip. Photos are beautiful, and it's nice to see the kids having fun.

I've never been to Rocky Mountain NP. Got to go someday.....

Thanks for the tour.

9. Great pics of one of my favorite places. Where is the water that your kids are sitting near? Grand Lake?

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You would think I would be there more often with it being so close. Its really only a day trip for us, yet we only go a couple of times a year.:redface:

Everyone needs to drive to the top of Trail Ridge Road, and then try to go for a jog. Just to feel that altitude. :smile:In the fall when the bull elk start to bugle would be my choice, but I don't have to fight the crowds for a camping spot or hotel room.:biggrin:

That is the canal that connects the lakes. Near rainbow bridge. There is a little parking area, and a couple of those little decks to fish from. We have never caught anything large from there, but Amanda did catch her first fish there a few years ago. It's a nice place for the kids to wet a line.:wink:

11. mdupont

mdupont

Jun 12, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    Great pictures. We were there 3 years ago for a family reunion. My moms family all live in Canyon and Florence. My oldest son (10) cant wait to go back.

Mike

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Mike. There is a lot of bettle kill pine trees standing. I hope there isn't a fire like Yellowstone had.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ride the Elk horse...Thats cute:>)))))

14. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Beautiful place. I'm afraid I'd be there every weekend if I lived that close ;)

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    They are all great - I just love the goats! I wonder what they were thinking....

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I wish he wouldn't say those things when I am taking a drink.:eek:

If I had the time I probably would be there too.

They were thinking that the next odd noise they heard they would all run up into the trees. Someone slammed a car door shortly after I took this shot.:rolleyes:

17. The Moose pic's are awesome.

18. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks. Even a blind dog can find a bone once in a while.