Rocky Mtn Elk

Im thinking a 4x4 quiet golf card would work well. LOL..............No these shots were not in the park, about 2 hours north of me, my old stomping grounds for fall time :wink: The bulls in the park are MUCH bigger. LOL

Nikam said:
Beautiful shots as always, Keith!!! You sure have been catching some great shots of these guys. Are these all from Jasper area?

I know what you mean about the pack from your mountain goat post. I think my Photo-trekker weighs about 35 pounds, before I add a lunch and water bottle. If I get out and do a backpacking trip I'm going to have to be pretty selective about what I take. :smile:

LOL!!!! Cant say I have given it much thought, the idea is he doesnt know your there until he catches your scent.............They dont want much to do with you, but I do have to say , in September when they are in the rut, usually at the peek around the full moon in September, they can be very aggressive and you do have to be careful. I have a neat pic of a bull I havent processed yet that has a large branch stuck in his antlers, think he was camoflaged! :rolleyes:

Philippe Roger said:
Wow, Keith! The first image is just terrific! :cool: :biggrin:

I've never been that close to one, in the wild... (I am a city boy, I guess :wink: ). Aren't you afraid he might charge and pick you up by the rear-end with those big antlers? :Whistle: :rolleyes:

LOL, the most critical critique always comes from the photographer who took the shot. LOL!!! Your being a bit modest there Andreas. Thanks for the nice comments :smile:

andreasb said:
Oh Keith you always make me feel inadequate when you post your great shots :)

Serioulsy these are great. So sharp and well balanced that the almost jump out of the picture, 500mm?

give us more!

andreas

These are beautiful pictures. Last year was the first time I tried to take pictures of elk in Jasper. I found out that going from landscape shooting to wildlife required much different technique. You have mastered your technique as these are perfect in every way. I hope to get another chance at the end of October when I go to the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Thanks for the kind words Jim...... I hear you on the landscape vs animals...........Im still learning......good luck in October, Im sure you will do GREAT!! look forward to seeing your pics

Thanks Gilles, in the Park you can get pretty close, a 70-200mm will do the majority of pics, now outside the park and in the bush, you need the 500mm + . Although like these the shots are not as good, I find it allot more exhilarating and satisfying shooting though. Then again it is all fun :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom