Rode NTG-2 with DSLR/H4n

I'm looking to buy a Rode NTG-2 to use on a boompole, with a Zoom H4n. I was just wondering, "if" i was to use this directly with my D300s, what kind of preamp would i need? And would it ruin the audio?

The Rode Videomic works with my D300s, and would also work on a boompole, but would the NTG-2 be significantly better when used on the boom with H4n than the Videomic would be?

I don't like the cheap build of the Videomic..

I want to get equipment that is affordable, but will last a while... I'd rather spend $300 on a decent one than 150 on a cheap one.

You shouldn't need a preamp with the zoom. It has a built in preamp, just make sure that in the setup that you use +4 and not -10, or your level will be to hot and distort.

You shouldn't need a preamp with the zoom. It has a built in preamp, just make sure that in the setup that you use +4 and not -10, or your level will be to hot and distort.

Right, but what if, for some reason, I wanted to use it on my DSLR?

If I'm understanding your question, you would record from the Rode directly into the H4N and then mix it with D300s footage in post.

Sean

Primarily, yes. But if I wanted to shoot something quick, not having time to setup the boom etc, is it possible to record the audio DIRECTLY with the d300s?

Yes, the NTG-2 runs on a battery as well as phantom so it does work. I've just tried it and I will say that the amp in the camera is extremely noisy even compared to the camera's built-in mic. Not to mention you can't even monitor the audio. Use only as a very last resort?

In that case invest in a BeachTek DXA-SLR Active Audio Adapter. We use these on a major TV show to do B Roll footage on a 7D.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom