Roku 4, Anyone Using one?

If so, how do you like it? Pros and cons? Anything better? Ho do other similar devices stack up to it? Thanks.

Real Name
Doug
Can't comment on the 4. I have two of the Roku 2 boxes. I use them primarily to get Amazon Prime video on both tvs in the house. Mostly we play kid's programming for the grandkids and the occasional movie. Even though I am pretty much immersed in the Apple ecosystem Apple TV is a non-starter for me due to the lack of Amazon Prime support. I like the Roku boxes for their overall simplicity and reliability.

I can't comment on Roku 4. But to build off of Doug, if you use Amazon Prime a lot, I recommend Fire TV. I got one last Black Friday and really like it. Aside from all Amazon's Prime content, Hulu, HBO Go, and Netflix also work well. Fire TV also has its "AI" Alexa (similar to Siri or Cortana) built in and can search through Amazon and recently has added other apps.

I have the Apple TV 4. Beautiful user interface with Siri remote and a track pad.
Setting up was pure simplicity. It partially set itself up. But I'm been using Mac's and
Apple products for over 20 years.

Samuel

As inexpensive as most of these devices are, it seems almost worthwhile to have one of each, for various needs, despite some overlap... Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, smart TV... I'm working on 3/4 of those!

Regarding too many remotes, I replaced TWC's "universal" remote with the Logitech Harmony 650, which can handle up to 8 separate remotes, and am well pleased.

Other than not accommodating the voice search function of the Roku 3, it has been very good for me, Doug. It will start doing crazy things when the batteries' charge is low, but that is a non issue to me. Having one, and only one, remote is GREAT!

Setup is straightforward. Connect the Logitech remote to your computer via usb, specify your system's device(s) manufacturer and model number for each mode (watch tv, watch dvd, etc.) on Logitech's web site, and the Logitech device library will synch your devices for the mode you specify.

Real Name
Doug
Other than not accommodating the voice search function of the Roku 3, it has been very good for me, Doug. It will start doing crazy things when the batteries' charge is low, but that is a non issue to me. Having one, and only one, remote is GREAT!

Setup is straightforward. Connect the Logitech remote to your computer via usb, specify your system's device(s) manufacturer and model number for each mode (watch tv, watch dvd, etc.) on Logitech's web site, and the Logitech device library will synch your devices for the mode you specify.
Thanks, Don. I will probably give it a try.

The problem then becomes too few HDMI ports and too many remotes. :eek:

That's true... I didn't know the Roku has/needs a remote... The way I've been using the Chromecast, I access it with my TV's remote... I also purposely bought the sound bar/sub so that the TV remote would control it as well, so far I'm at 2 remotes for my needs. :)

I agree with Crazy about the logitech 650. It is an excellent remote. I have it controlling the TV, cable box/DVR, and DVD player, plus internet connection for several streaming video sites. In fairness, I do have to say that it drives my wife nuts. She doesn't want to learn how to use it, so I get called to come fix it whenever she gets stuck.....

Kerry

I have the Roku 4 but only have a normal HD TV. There is very little 4K content at the moment anyway, which is all that differentiates the 3 and 4.

My problem with it comes from it being setup for the US only (I had to buy a converter for 220V to supply the required 12V) and not setting up NetFlix or Amazon Prime until I setup a VPN to the US. After that it all configured and worked.

Latest threads

Top Bottom