Roku on wi-fi?

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a Roku device and subscribe to one of the streaming services in order to get the ACC network this basketball season. A friend of mine who has one says Roku won't work with wi-fi so he uses a wired ethernet connection. That won't be possible for me, so am I just out of luck?
You should have no issue with Roku and wi-fi. We’re getting approx 24mbs via wi-fi and have no issue streaming movie from Netflix, Amazon, HBO or any other. Have been able to even get 4K resolution on the content broadcast at that resolution. At times we do have a delay of a couple of seconds as program loads but no longer than when switching cable channels.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The convention is that data communications are always in bits, with a small b. Mega has a big M. This is so often done wrong.
So mb= millibits, a difficult concept, it would take a long time for your data to arrive.
MB=Mega Bytes, also wrong for data comms, but good for data storage.
Pretty much every post here has it wrong. My internet speed is 300Mb/s, that is the correct way to write it.
I know I'm pedantic, no need to tell me.

I started this thread because a friend told me that Roku wouldn't work with wi-fi (see the first post). That was based on his experience. Now this morning he sent me this note:

Now I understand
My Roku doesn’t have WiFi

Sent from my iPhone

So this whole thread was prompted by a misunderstanding. Nevertheless I have learned a good deal, and I'm thankful to all of you who have responded. And I've already ordered a Roku device.

(Richard, I think you will see that I used the abbreviation Mbps. I agree that Mb/s is more correct, but Mbps is the way it is written in much of the online technical literature.)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
(Richard, I think you will see that I used the abbreviation Mbps. I agree that Mb/s is more correct, but Mbps is the way it is written in much of the online technical literature.)
Indeed, and you are the exception. I can accept the missing / but I cannot forgive the incorrect capitalisation of the M or the b.

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a Roku device and subscribe to one of the streaming services in order to get the ACC network this basketball season. A friend of mine who has one says Roku won't work with wi-fi so he uses a wired ethernet connection. That won't be possible for me, so am I just out of luck?
Jim,
What is the subscription cost to get ACC?
I would think you would have to subscribe to some type of package unless it is available ala carte.
I believe Directv Now is about $50 for the basic package up from $35.
My brother had that and it worked pretty good.
His apartment would not allow outside dishes.
They also let you stream on two different TV's at the same time.
He was on the east coast and I was on the west coast and we were both able to stream different channels at the same time.
It's definitely cheaper than the dish package.
If it wasn't for not having DVR capabilities I would probably switch from DirecTv with the dish.

Jim,
I would think you would have to subscribe to some type of package unless it is available ala carte.
He was on the east coast and I was on the west coast and we were both able to stream different channels at the same time.
If it wasn't for not having DVR capabilities I would probably switch from DirecTv with the dish.

I plan to sign up for a streaming package from Sling TV. They have a basic package for $25/mo, but the sports add-on, which is necessary to get the ACC network, is an additional $10/mo. So the total will be $35/mo, which is absurd, but I'll cancel it as soon as the college basketball season is over in early April.

This is addition to our Comcast XFinity cable TV package.

Real Name
Doug
I plan to sign up for a streaming package from Sling TV. They have a basic package for $25/mo, but the sports add-on, which is necessary to get the ACC network, is an additional $10/mo. So the total will be $35/mo, which is absurd, but I'll cancel it as soon as the college basketball season is over in early April.

Have you checked if YouTube TV offers the sports that you want, either in the basic package or as an add-on? We have Xfinity internet and VOIP phone service. We use YouTube TV as a substitute for the overpriced XFinity TV packages. With the basic YouTube TV package I get all the sports of interest to me including regional college football, MLB, NFL etc. $66 for internet and phone, $45 for YouTube TV.

Real Name
Doug
Jim,
A number of the streaming services (we use YouTube TV) offer a "cloud" DVR with their service.

Unless I'm reading it wrong or there are some other disadvantages, it looks like Comcast Xfinity offers the ACC network. The question is at what cost or disadvantages.

I think I may have answered my own question. There are several sources out there that claim Comcast may be gouging customers with excessive fees to receive the ACC Network.
Looking forward to your feedback Jim.
I hate when large companies try to take advantage just because they can or think they can.

Last edited:
Unless I'm reading it wrong or there are some other disadvantages, it looks like Comcast Xfinity offers the ACC network. The question is at what cost or disadvantages.

I think I may have answered my own question. There are several sources out there that claim Comcast may be gouging customers with excessive fees to receive the ACC Network.
Looking forward to your feedback Jim.
I hate when large companies try to take advantage just because they can or think they can.

Please show me the information that says Comcast is carrying the ACC network.

This is what the Comcast XFinity web page says:

However, in support of our customers, Comcast will not carry the ACC Network until we reach an agreement at a fair and reasonable cost.

Have you checked if YouTube TV offers the sports that you want, either in the basic package or as an add-on? We have Xfinity internet and VOIP phone service. We use YouTube TV as a substitute for the overpriced XFinity TV packages. With the basic YouTube TV package I get all the sports of interest to me including regional college football, MLB, NFL etc. $66 for internet and phone, $45 for YouTube TV.

Thanks, Doug. That looks interesting but it might not save any money. We are on a promotional package which includes cable TV, internet, and phone. If I drop any of the three the rate goes up on the others.

Also it does not include The Weather Channel, which probably occupies our screen more than any other.

Please show me the information that says Comcast is carrying the ACC network.

This is what the Comcast XFinity web page says:

However, in support of our customers, Comcast will not carry the ACC Network until we reach an agreement at a fair and reasonable cost.
You're right Jim.
I was reading an old article.
I didn't realize there were contract discussions still going on.

I've had the same router from Cox for probably 7 years or so, and haven't increased my internet speed since day one, so I'm sure my speeds are probably slow compared to most people. I've had a roku 3 (I think), for years now, and no real problems streaming over wifi. Once in a while it will buffer but rearely and only a few seconds.

I've had the Roku set up for about a week now, and streaming works without a glitch. I am presently surprised because streaming via Airplay from a computer to my Apple TV device often displays freezing video and un-synced audio.

I've had the Roku set up for about a week now, and streaming works without a glitch. I am presently surprised because streaming via Airplay from a computer to my Apple TV device often displays freezing video and un-synced audio.
Congrats and well done !

Latest threads

Top Bottom