Roll 17

This one came with a slice of humble pie. Some sort of changing bag accident (I think) when I moved my arms around ruined several frames. And when you only get 10 of them, that hurts.

This was mostly shots of my son and sister in her studio. Only one of those survived, plus a shot of my brother in law's mushroom garden.

roll17-03-web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

roll17-04-web.jpg

A failed attempt at saving one frame. Bah. Be-more-careful-Ed. Sheesh.

roll17-01-02-web.jpg

R

Removed User 2

Great shots, all touching. Even the mushroom garden made me laugh! That little guy is a super good friend, from what I can see. Looks like he's curious and easy going.

Real Name
Chris
Actually your rescue attempt shot looks pretty good. That is a nice press your sister has! All of the shots look good to me. When I spool 120 film in the bag, I hold the roll with my hand around it to prevent such accidents, Of course, once it's on the reel, it's a lost cause. I wish I could get back all the fogged frames I have from light leaking around my arms. That's why I wear a long black sleeves now, and pull the bag arms over it. It bunches up, and makes a dandy light dam.

Ed,

You did a good salvage on the last one. I think you need to do a photo essay of your trip. Something along the lines of taking your son to see his artist aunt. Journey to an Artists World, maybe? You definitely have some very well presented memories of the trek.

R

Removed User 2

Ed, I'm an art collector. I love it! I like the framed work in the first pic... Is there a website of her work I can see?

Thanks...

B

BigPixel

Yea, the images are neat but your sister's prints are wonderful! Litho I presume? She is very talented. Like Ned, I'd love to see some of her work in color.

Thanks much everyone.

Yes, that big press in the one image is a lithographic one. I think. Her art is all printing, etching, embossing, etc. Not that I really understand that field at all.

She has a web site here.

It was gratifying to know I had an artistic sibling when I first met her in 1995. I had always had an itch for it myself, but I am obviously not quite an artist. Having her come along reinforced that for me, and probably had a lot to do with my embarking on this long and painful quest to find an art for myself.

What I like about that first image, by the way, is how her art contains so many genetic symbols, and here my kid draws what could be seen as similar shapes on the paper she taped to the wall for him. The thing that drives her art will also drive them as they become adults, and as I've said elsewhere I think the connection between them will be an important one because they will understand each other in a way I cannot. I found this revelation interesting in that I have figured that ethnicity and culture would be the "big issue," but the more I think about it, the more I realize that adoption is probably a far greater influence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
... but I am obviously not quite an artist. ...
I have to disagree. You are way too modest in this respect Ed. You are indeed an artist, and now we see it runs in your family.

Your sister's website has some fantastic stuff in it! She does everything from flat art, to room filling installations. Amazing range and consistency in the theme while being so very diverse in her scope. Wow. Teach her to photograph and see what she does!

I have to disagree. You are way too modest in this respect Ed. You are indeed an artist, and now we see it runs in your family.

Your sister's website has some fantastic stuff in it! She does everything from flat art, to room filling installations. Amazing range and consistency in the theme while being so very diverse in her scope. Wow. Teach her to photograph and see what she does!

She teaches photography, among other things. A few of her photographs hang in my house. She spent some time in Ireland back in the late 90s and got some great stuff.

Most of it was shot with a Pentax SF10 she inherited from me. That camera had a very long service life before it was finally stolen. Who would steal an old film camera worth about $50 is beyond me, but whatever.

So far as I am concerned, there is no clarity and purpose in what I am doing thus far. I am just poking around really. I haven't found the right direction to go in yet. It is still very much the case I will come up with a photograph I absolutely love. I will think yeah! It's exactly what I was trying to do. But exactly one person likes it. Me. :biggrin: What this tells me is that I can express to myself just fine. I need to be able to do that to others before anyone can begin to think of me as an artist.

Ed,

I agree with Chris, while you may still be finding your artistic 'feet', your photos are evidence of an instinctive eye for good compositions, light and subjects. I have not been a member of this forum for very long, but there is a definite progession in your work since I have been around. Plus you seem to have an insatiable curiousity and love for experimentation with new and different methods and materials.

Your sister is an wonderful artist, how amazing for your son to be able to spend time with her. If the art streak is genetic, you may be doomed to the artist life.

While I cannot relate personally to the adoption issue, I have several cousins and an aunt who were adopted into our family, along with a number of close friends. I am surprised at how even as an adult there is that longing to connect with biological parents or siblings. Our family's experience is that it is best to nurture and support these desires to find blood family ties. If you are resentful, jealous or hostile to the issue, it only drives a huge wedge into the family and ultimately everyone suffers. Hopefully, I am not too forward with this advice.

Ed,

I agree with Chris, while you may still be finding your artistic 'feet', your photos are evidence of an instinctive eye for good compositions, light and subjects. I have not been a member of this forum for very long, but there is a definite progession in your work since I have been around. Plus you seem to have an insatiable curiousity and love for experimentation with new and different methods and materials.

Your sister is an wonderful artist, how amazing for your son to be able to spend time with her. If the art streak is genetic, you may be doomed to the artist life.

While I cannot relate personally to the adoption issue, I have several cousins and an aunt who were adopted into our family, along with a number of close friends. I am surprised at how even as an adult there is that longing to connect with biological parents or siblings. Our family's experience is that it is best to nurture and support these desires to find blood family ties. If you are resentful, jealous or hostile to the issue, it only drives a huge wedge into the family and ultimately everyone suffers. Hopefully, I am not too forward with this advice.

Actually that is good advice so far as I can tell.

I am fortunate in that through my sister, I have learned directly about the issues that adoption creates in the adopted. When she and I finally met and became close, I even had a hard time understanding why her family would find me threatening or that she would have had anything but gratitude for them. I was of course happy to have her in my life, but my first thought was hey, they went to the trouble of taking care of you.

I have also seen this in Korean adoptees, absorbing whatever I can find coming from them.

Funny how nobody tries to teach you this stuff before you adopt.

Anyway, I still believe it can work out, or at least I will die trying.

B

BigPixel

It was gratifying to know I had an artistic sibling when I first met her in 1995.

There just has to be a neat story here. Please fill us in.

Her web site is terrific Beez. She's plugged in and well respected in the arts community. Must run in the family.

There just has to be a neat story here. Please fill us in.

Her web site is terrific Beez. She's plugged in and well respected in the arts community. Must run in the family.

My family's history is very complex and mostly heartbreaking.

You have to understand that the story involves things such as mental illness, shame, homelessness, abuse and death. You name it. And coming from several directions.

But the gist of this corner of it is, I met her at my mother's funeral in late 1995. I had found out she existed a few years before that. She was standing at the door to an old Catholic church in Philly wearing a blue pants suit and combat boots. I knew we would get along at the sight of her.

She was going to an art school and living in downtown Philly. I've never met a more rugged person when it comes to the very hard edge of our civilization.

I was stunned at that time, having only a month earlier deciding to see my mother again after more than 25 years. That would have been hard enough as it was, but she died before I arrived.

It became surreal after that. I remember sitting in a Catholic halfway house for mentally ill women, sitting at a table with some dozen women, all chain smoking, and all thinking I was my mother's brother because I look so utterly like she did. Even the social workers and nuns that I met at her funeral couldn't stop staring at me. Here was a version of Mary, but not under the wet blanket of thorazine. Maybe the wet blanket of guilt, though.

In walks Janet and her family. Very quiet. They knew my mother over the years after I was taken away from her.

Then over the few years after that we got to know each other. She moved out here and lived in Oakland and Berkeley, then went off to graduate school and now teaching art in Tacoma.

Yeah, it would make a good book. Now if I could just write...

PS, we can keep all this between "us." (hello world) Janet doesn't really make these things public. I on the other hand am an open book sort of person. So I keep most of my family out of it, but I mostly let it all hang out.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Removed User 2

Ed,

Adoption, DNA and identity. They all seem to be her main subjects. Really lovely. I like it a lot.

Okay Ed, How do we proceed to have her posting in this forum?

B

BigPixel

a very complex situation but I'm glad to know you better now. That will influence everything you post from now on in a good way.

a very complex situation but I'm glad to know you better now. That will influence everything you post from now on in a good way.

To give you an idea how complex, here is a summary of my siblings:

Two brothers, two sisters, same parents. All alive. I am the second oldest.
One sister, one brother, same mother. I have not met the brother. Both taken from my mother and adopted.
Three step sisters. Lived with them for my early to mid teens. One dead.
One sister, same father. Lived with her in my teens.
One sister, adopted by my father and step mother, the daughter of one of my step sisters.

:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom