Roll 22

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:1. This is just the extra frame that won't fit in the archive page.

As I recall this was very dark. It is inside of a video game in Santa Cruz. Indoors, in an area not lit. Only light was the screen in front of them. The game is enclosed with black curtains. Except of course for dad leaning in.

So this might be really good. Other frames seem to have high contrast. Not sure what that means yet. Might have to do the other roll queued up in Rodinal to compare.

This was the F100, 50 1.4, probably at f/1.4.

roll22-01-web.

2. i like this effect!

3. These kinds of images drive me to film and away from digital. Fantastic.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The 1.4 effect is very apparent in this shot! Nice use of the thin focus! I can never tell that much about development on a scanned negative, because the digital aspect of it can compensate so much (at least it does for me!) But if you are happy with the effect then it must be good. I love the way the grain hides from the light!

Oh, and by the way, I have seen this scene often starring Sam and Olivia in the players role. But they are always fighting about the game, so they are not often allowed to play video together anymore.

5. Thanks guys.

Not very happy with the rest of that roll. :frown:

I have another I am doing tonight. Thinking about trying Xtol full or D76. This one came out a little too contrasty in the other frames. And grainy.

I am trying to be gentle during inversions. But I worry that might be the issue. Something seems off.

6. Another one from the arcade.

roll22-03-web.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Do these negatives have enough exposure? Remember those blurry and VERY grainy street photos of mine about a month ago (Nosferatu, etc.?) Those were way underexposed, and I blame that for the über-grain.

To my eye, fast film always benefits (in having more controlled grain) from a bit (half stop-ish) of a pull.

Take this with a mole of NaCl though, cause I have never shot neopan.

8. ...wild..like it a whole bunch..think the grain effect over their faces, is better in this one.
    seems like your getting out of this roll, what it is, that i like but can't explain, that is, what we'd use the film for..or at least your on the approach...this whole neopan range has me intrigued, tho i cant seem to get past ISO100 yet. i'm hoping someday to use the faster stuff.
    i've heard RODINAL, MICRODOL X, and XTOL as possible good develops.
    there is this guy in Japan who shoots an M5 and an old summarit, or summaron 50mm, never did get it strait...but he is an exclusive NeoSuperPresto user. Junku Nishimura aka junku-newcleus.....

9. Summarit. What a great lens!

10. In the case of these images, yes. Others in the roll that were well exposed seem too grainy. For these I expect it.

11. Here's the first one scanned more carefully. It always takes me time to like anything I do. I don't know why.

roll22-01-b-web.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Zowie! The video game is putting amazing light on his face. I guess the rule here would be scan for the highlights, and let the shadows sort it out themselves.

13. scanned more carefull does the trick, really liked the shadow on the wall behind, and now the faces are just right.

14. Thanks!

Yeah, that shadow makes the image as much as the light on their faces does.

Just did another roll of Neopan 1600. This time in Xtol full strength. I can already tell they are less contrasty.

I'm beginning to think this whole dilution thing is a plot. A plot by people that want to spend less money on developer! :tongue:

15. Last one from this roll.

roll22-05-b-web.