Roll 24

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jul 9, 2007.

1. 400TX in Xtol full strength. Looks good so far.

Yeah, yeah, ISO 400 in near broad daylight. :biggrin:

roll24-01-web.

4 liters of Xtol to go!

2. Trying for ultimate flatness and focus. Emulsion against the scanner bed glass, flattened by etched anti-Newton-ring glass.

roll24-01-flat-web.

3. Grain isn't quite as nice as I get with D76. Will see with further frames. Good though.

roll24-01-flat-crop.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I wonder, is that the true grain, or 'grain aliasing'? I have seen a substantial difference between the grain of a scanned negative, and that of a scanned darkroom print.

5. Good point. I often wonder that.

One odd thing I've noticed is what happens when I scan at different resolutions. The grain size seems to follow the resolution. If that makes sense.

But what I mean here really is I think I get different tones with D76. More greys or something. But the bright daylight shot might be fooling me.

6. i like what i see here, the first shot looks great.
    the five liter batch of Xtol put me off at first, but useing it at stock strength made it go fast.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I do think that D76 spreads out the tone zones nicely. As a developer, I like it, as a powder that I would need to mix - less so. As I use it at school, I don't feel the need to make it at home. And I like the quicker transition from black to white (or vice versa) I get from HC110. I have gone to dilution h for everything lately, and I like it even more. But based on the stuff I've seen from you Ed, I might just mix up some D76 next time (, although I developed 3 rolls late last night. I think they should be dry by now.)

8. I ordered myself up a decent magnetic stirrer this week. And a couple of 4 liter flasks.

I now love powder. :biggrin:

Need to find a source of canned non-oxygen. Nitrogen? To use as a blanket over Xtol. Does anyone sell such a thing?

PS, what happened to Sargent Welch? We bought lots of our bench gear from them back in the early 80s. They seem to have turned into something different.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sargent Welch was eaten by VWR. Wine shops sell canned argon for removing oxygen from the head space in wine bottles. It might work for you. The problem with nitrogen is that it isn't heavier than air, and so doesn't replace it very efficiently.

10. Ah. I remember VWR and Fisher.

Some photos from this roll:

roll24-04-web.

roll24-02-web.

11. One more and my favorite from this roll.

roll24-07-web.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There are 3 of him!

13. I can see why. That boy was getting some air. Just a wonderful and classic kid shot!

14. Thanks! He was in a mood to show off for the camera for once.