Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model K4 / 50

I now have a 6x6. :biggrin: This was my MIL's father's camera. It's S/N is 1121190, which puts it as a production date of Oct '49 - May'51, and probably towards the earlier end of that run. Seems to be in good shape, thinking of sending it to Midstate camera in RI for a CLA.

The lens is a Xenar 3.5/75, and it says Compur-Rapid on the front (I don't know that that refers to).

Focusing is nice and smooth, haven't figured out any of the rest of how to use it. Anywhere I could find a manual online (free??)?

:smile:

Gretchen, comgrats on the Rolleiflex. Compur-Rapid is the name of the shutter.

Below is a link to a Rolleiflex Automat Manual that you can download.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/rolleiflex_automat/rolleiflex_automat.htm

Also, I have used the following gentleman for CLA. Contact him if Midstate camera does not work out. Krikor has over 40 years experience with Rolleiflex's and specializes in the repair of the classic ones. Which would include the Automat.

Mr. Krikor Maralian
Krimar Photo Shop
105-B (Route 4) Broadway
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
Telephone (201) 796-0554

http://www.krimarphoto.com

Enjoy the camera. I had one of mine out earlier today.

Ray,

Thank you very much for the recommendation!! I think MidState only does 35mm, so I will contact this gentleman tomorrow and look to send the camera down.

I also appreciate the link to the manual, thank you very much! I can't wait to get some film and go out shooting. :smile:

Gretchen,

Good luck. Loading the film is easy, just make sure you feed the beginning of the backing paper through the first set of rollers. Attach it to the take up spool. Tighten it by about one turn. Close the back, then turn the crank until it stops. The counter should be on 1.

The shutter will be cocked and ready for the first exposure. Then the fun begins.

Much appreciated! I shot film back in high school, but only 35mm. I've been dying to try medium format, something just really entices me to square format. This is exciting, I can't wait to get the camera back and go out! Your suggestions are a great help. :smile:

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Medium Format.
Ways to handle 120 film after exposure:
1. Black & white: Develop yourself. Print in a darkroom or scan and make inkjet prints. Either way works well.
2. Color negative film: If you don't have access to a real lab that process C-41 color negative film, Walmart offers a workable solution. Place your exposed roll of film in one of Walmart's film processing envelopes. One roll per envelope. In Special Instructions write "120 C-41 film". Drop envelope in box. Come back when they call or in 2 weeks. For some reason, my Walmart never calls.
3. Color transparency: Same as #3. Write "120 E-6 film".
I scan all of my film myself. Commercial scanning adds up in a hurry. If you go shopping, you want to look for a scanner with film handling capability. Epson seems to be the best bang for your buck at the moment.

Real Name
Chris
That's totally cool Gretchen! I have a 75mm f/3.5 Xenar sitting on my desk that I use as a paper weight. Every now and then I cock the shutter and fire it. It came out of a Rolleicord that I used for parts to try and keep my 1957 Rolleiflex alive.

Wayne,

I plan to start with simple color C-41 and will send it out. I used to shoot film in high school and shot all color negative at that point. I would love to try B&W, and souping my own, but am not ready for that yet. I used to wet develop xrays at the vet where I worked in high school, so I have a rough feel for the process, but have never actually done B&W film. :smile:

Chris, I can't wait to get it back and go out and shoot! It should be arriving in NJ today, hopefully it's not in too bad of shape (unsure how it was stored).

Gretchen, I know you will enjoy that camera. I have a 1939 vintage Automat in very good condition. I have been shooting mostly B&W, with some c-41 and an occasional E-6.

Gretchen,
Compared to high school vintage C-41 film, you will LOVE today's crop of color film. Actually, you could do very well with just 2: Ektar 100 and the new Portra 400. They should cover all bases very nicely.
Have fun!

Real Name
Chris
Wayne,

I plan to start with simple color C-41 and will send it out. I used to shoot film in high school and shot all color negative at that point. I would love to try B&W, and souping my own, but am not ready for that yet. I used to wet develop xrays at the vet where I worked in high school, so I have a rough feel for the process, but have never actually done B&W film. :smile:

Chris, I can't wait to get it back and go out and shoot! It should be arriving in NJ today, hopefully it's not in too bad of shape (unsure how it was stored).

Gretchen,

Developing B&W is super easy, and very inexpensive. I'll make a post about it soon, and perhaps you could make it a sticky in this forum.

Chris,

Will only take a wave of the magic Wacom pen. :smile: I look forward to your post Professor! I'd love to see info on why to choose which formula (Rodinal vs. others), as well as which dilution. I.e. Formula A at Dilution B is for grainy look vs Form A at Dilution C for less grain, more shadows, or whatever. :smile:

Real Name
Chris
Heh. Ok then, I'm on it. My first post however will be pretty much the basics - what stuff you need, and how to do the process. Film choice, developer choice, dilution, and all that fine tuning stuff is more advanced, and that will follow. That part is also more controversial, in that everybody has their favorites.

I'll get busy right now.

1. Developer in. Developer out.
2. Stop in. Stop out.
3. Fix in. Fix out.
4. Wash.
5. Dunk film in Photo-Flo + distilled water.
6. Hang. Come back tomorrow.
7. Cut. Scan.
8. Sleeve.
Done.

#1 is the cause of countless debates. Ask 100 photographers to name a developer and you will get a minimum of 200 answers. All different. All correct. Go figure.

Grain/No grain: Rodinal + continuous agitation = grain. Rodinal + stand/minimum agitation = almost as much grain. Xtol 1:3 + continuous agitation = No Grain. I can't make grain with Xtol 1:3. I even tried 35mm Tmax p3200. No grain.

Just got a call from Krikor, of Krimar Photo, camera is in working order, needs one mirror replaced. :smile: I can't recommend him enough, if you ever need work on a Rolleiflex! Hopefully the camera will be here by Monday, and now it's time to order some film! :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom