Critique Roller Derby Headshots

I've only (slowly) been getting into doing studio portraits. And since I shoot Roller Derby I was called upon to do some skater headshots. These were taken over the past 8 months or so with essentially the same gear. D7200, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 (the first 2), Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2, and 2 Yongnuo YN685 speed lights in 2 octaboxes.

Let me know what you think; "the good, the bad, the ugly" as they say.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ian
Dan, I am by no means an expert when it comes to headshots, but a few things stood out to me:

1. The lighting is very even, possibly a bit underexposed. The subject doesn't really "pop" against the background, which could be remedied by either increasing the flash exposure, or adding a rim light to help better define the edges of the subject (make your second light a rim light, and add a reflector to act as your fill).

2. IMO this is your best image. The subject is well exposed.

3. This is the best "portrait" pose, but I would add a bit of fill to her right side to eliminate the shadows on her face. I would bump up the power on the fill light a bit to combat the shadows. Also, I don't like that her arm and helmet are cut off.

Like I said, I am by no means an expert, but those are my thoughts when I look at the images. Thanks for sharing (and how about some action shots?)!

Posing and composition are all solid on these images.

Image #1 seems a bit underexposed and image #3 feels a bit uneven with lighting especially if you were using two flashes. Image #2 seems to hit the mark with exposure. Also I'd try using a step stool and mix up perspective. Maybe try a few shots from top-down just to mix it up.

If you're having a flash recycling issue, I highly recommend getting the Godox power pack for your TT685 flashes to give you more juice.

Dan, I am by no means an expert when it comes to headshots, but a few things stood out to me:

3. This is the best "portrait" pose, but I would add a bit of fill to her right side to eliminate the shadows on her face. I would bump up the power on the fill light a bit to combat the shadows. Also, I don't like that her arm and helmet are cut off.
As far as the crop is concerned, perhaps something like this would be better?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom