Roman Cats

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jczinn, May 15, 2005.

1. There are a lot of stray cats in Rome, and many used to make their homes around the monuments. Now Largo Argentina, an ancient ruin, is the home of the Roman Cat Sanctuary where volunteers work to relocate the cats, neuter them, and give them a safe haven. Even though the cats are free to wander off, they just don't...they are comfortable here and well taken care of. We spent some time photographing the cats and did some shopping for tshirts and such--there's a shop and office on the location, and of course the profits go to the sanctuary.

By the way, the clipped ears on these cats are done when they are neutered.

D100, 24-120VR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This tough guy wasn't in the sanctuary, but should have been--his face (on the side you can't see here) was all bloodied from a fight. Guess someone wanted his bike!

[​IMG]

2. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Janet

A worldwide known place,great work are the volunteers doing there

Your first is awesome and I realy love that last one

3. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Nice shots Janet, but that last one is a standout for me.

Neil

4. WOW, never heard of such a place. Wonderful shots!! :D :D :D

5. I love these shots Janet. Image #2 is very nice indeed.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wow -- great shots, Janet! Looks like it was a fun place to visit.

7. beautiful captures, janet.... thankyou

8. Hi Janet,

Some great captures there, particularly #1 and the last one. It's good to see that these cats have someone looking after them.

As a cat lover myself, I too find it barbaric to clip the ears, but you know what? They do the same thing in the US! We had some feral cats in the back yard, took them in to have them "fixed" and they came back with clipped ears: that way, they can easily be identified by animal control, so they say... :evil:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not what I expected you to bring back from your trip, but I'm glad that you did. Nice to know that there are caring people there. I'm with Philippe on the clipped ear thing though.

I like them all, but especially the last.

10. Im not a cat lover, but really like the series, and its surroundings make the shots. Well done Janet

11. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Neat shots, I like the last one. Ain't touchin his bike!

Joel.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How cool! We need a place like that here!

13. Janet

I really like the second image. I have a cat that looks like him/her.

I live in the country and have rounded up feral cats that roam my woods and have had them "fixed".

Even taking to feed them so they will leave the birds alone. Seems to have worked.

Russ

14. Thanks everyone for looking and commenting!

As for the clipped ears, I agree that its unnecessary and cruel to do those kinds of things in the name of vanity but this is a different circumstance--more like a tattoo for identification's sake, and in this case I think its acceptable practice.