Rome gallery finally posted!

D

dan_m

Janet,
After viewing a few images, I did have to look at all of them. Very nicely done. Your colors were so deep and you protected the skies from overexposure very well. Did you use a polarizer or a lot of post-processing?
Bravo.
Dan M.

Janet,

Bravissimo! I too had to look at them all... well the posted ones, that is: I am sure you have tons more. ;-) The compositions and colors are captivating. It looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing this.

Real Name
Heiko
Hi Janet,

Thanks for posting the pictures - they are absolutely wonderful. You really have an eye for choosing and framing.

I'm also very curious on how you got the blue skies without loosing details in the shadows. Did you use a polarizer? From what I see in the EXIF data on the second picture, you used a 24-120mm Nikor G-type lens at focal length 35mm, f10 and 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 200 and WB sunny. It was edited in Nikon Capture 4.2.0. It looks like no post processing was done in PS. Is this correct?

Again, I love the pictures and they are really great (I was already waiting to see them, after I saw your Sistine chapel pictures with the Sigma 24mm).

All the best,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
heiko said:
Hi Janet,

I'm also very curious on how you got the blue skies without loosing details in the shadows. Did you use a polarizer? From what I see in the EXIF data on the second picture, you used a 24-120mm Nikor G-type lens at focal length 35mm, f10 and 1/250 shutter speed, ISO 200 and WB sunny. It was edited in Nikon Capture 4.2.0. It looks like no post processing was done in PS. Is this correct?
Thanks Heiko (and everyone!) As far as the blue skies, yes, for most shots I did use a polarizer (however, in that particular shot I don't believe that I did, as it was early morning and I didn't want to change the quality of the light.) I do quite a bit of post processing, generally..to me, that's an integral step and one that I truly enjoy as much as taking the shot! One thing I use a lot is D-lighting in Capture. That's the secret to the blue skies and great shadow detail. That function is just fantastic. I'm sure you can do the same adjustment with careful use of curves but D-lighting is a great time-saver/shortcut. I rarely use it at the default, though--that's usually way too pronounced an effect--I try to keep the values as low as possible to make sure the photo looks natural.

Finally, I don't own or use Photoshop...I convert in NC, do any RAW adjustments/D-lighting there, then I use Picture Window Pro from Digital Light & Magic (www.dl-c.com) for the rest of my editing (cropping, perspective correction, any other adjustments that might require masks--PWP has a fantastic masking system)--and finally sharpening.

Janet,

I spent an hour looking at the images that you posted from Rome. The composition was wonderful and the rich colors were awesome. You certainly made the best of your opportunity to capture what the Papal City has to offer. I can only imagine the smile on your face when you sit and look at the images that you captured. Outstanding job!

THe cities of europe sure do have alot to offer photographicaly dont they.
I bet that was a blast.
Thanks for posting them.

Now I know where I need to go when my children are really old enough to travel overseas! Thanks for sharing.

Janet. The stuff you bring back fom your travels is always a pleasure to lookat. it just keeps geting better. Your Rome gallery is very colorful and fascinating. I know its good when it makes me want to be there and it does. much better than typical travel shots Ive seen. Good Job! :)

P

papa85

Italy

Janet, wonderful shots :D Makes me want to go back. Italy is truly a city of history.There is a saying, See Italy and you see the world.
Great Photography. Keep it comming.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom