Rome...

Hello All,
I will be traveling to Rome and Assisi in June... what are the must shoot day and night in both... any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance for the tips/tricks/places to avoid.

Thanks,
George Hursh

Hello All,
I will be traveling to Rome and Assisi in June... what are the must shoot day and night in both... any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance for the tips/tricks/places to avoid.

Thanks,
George Hursh
The Colosseum in the late afternoon just after the sun has set...take a tripod ;)

The Colosseum in the late afternoon just after the sun has set...take a tripod ;)
see thats what i am talking about... Thanks i love the idea...

I am looking for some great night shots... something that shows the lights of the city but wont get e mugged being out at night with my D700 and gear!

We had 2 weeks in Rome last June, the boss's 50th.

Loads of photo opportunities, many of which never appear in a guide book. My favourites are the Forum (lots of), top of the Victor Emmanual, lots of people one's around the Vatican, the trams. And one that turned out far better than expected, down the Spannish Steps at step level.

One I took that I find very sad is of a plaque on a wall in the Jewish District. "13 October, 1943." I'll leave you to research the history of that one.

Enjoy.

Brian

We had 2 weeks in Rome last June, the boss's 50th.

Loads of photo opportunities, many of which never appear in a guide book. My favourites are the Forum (lots of), top of the Victor Emmanual, lots of people one's around the Vatican, the trams. And one that turned out far better than expected, down the Spannish Steps at step level.

One I took that I find very sad is of a plaque on a wall in the Jewish District. "13 October, 1943." I'll leave you to research the history of that one.

Enjoy.

Brian

Thanks for the tips

Real Name
Mike
I was in Rome last July and did not have any problem lugging my D3s around on the buses late at night. Be aware of who is around you, and if you notice, you will not be the only person with an expensive camera. :tongue:

The must see places are the Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Vatican (limited photography), and the Pantheon. There is only one place I can think of to get a decent night image of the Colosseum, and that is across the street and up the bank near a parking lot. There is an opening with a low brick wall that overlooks the Colosseum and you can set up your tripod on the wall.

Have fun!

i shot Rome last year

here's a tip, if you shoot wide stay above 24mm

the 16-35 at 16-20 ruined most of shots w/ horrid BD, so bad it was not worth the time to try and fix it

too many BIG bldgs too close together

I was in Rome last July and did not have any problem lugging my D3s around on the buses late at night. Be aware of who is around you, and if you notice, you will not be the only person with an expensive camera. :tongue:

The must see places are the Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Vatican (limited photography), and the Pantheon. There is only one place I can think of to get a decent night image of the Colosseum, and that is across the street and up the bank near a parking lot. There is an opening with a low brick wall that overlooks the Colosseum and you can set up your tripod on the wall.

Have fun!
Thanks Mike... i will try and find that shot of the colosseum

i shot Rome last year

here's a tip, if you shoot wide stay above 24mm

the 16-35 at 16-20 ruined most of shots w/ horrid BD, so bad it was not worth the time to try and fix it

too many BIG bldgs too close together
So you think i should be alright with the 28-300, 50, 85... or need more glass for the trip?

So you think i should be alright with the 28-300, 50, 85... or need more glass for the trip?
i like less glass. i rarely shoot inside or after dark. The 28-300 should be a fun lens to take and then maybe 1 lens for low light if you shoot low light, prob the 50

i like less glass. i rarely shoot inside or after dark. The 28-300 should be a fun lens to take and then maybe 1 lens for low light if you shoot low light, prob the 50
... thanks i will probably take all three lens... keeping the 28-300 on most of the time!

The Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Vatican are all "must" see. I also liked the light and openness of the Palatine Hills and along the river.

The thrill of Rome for me (long weekend amidst business trip) was the great color of the city, the curved streets leading onto little square, cafes, etc.

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
Glad I saw this thread. I'll be in Italy for three weeks in September, going between Rome, Florence, Tuscany, and Pompeii. I've also been wondering about lens choices; think I've got it narrowed down to three, though...

I liked Trastevere at night, Piazza del Popolo early and late in the day, and there are great church interiors and statues galore. The area around the Forum and Coloseum is just magnificent around sunset. The low light is BEAUTIFUL on those old buildings!

In Assisi, the church of St Francis limits photography some, but there is a beautiful view from there across the Umbrian countryside. The town itself is a beautiful Umbrian hill town. Just like EVERY Umbrian hill town is beautiful! It really is a magnificant place. In Umbria, you might want to go to Bevagne, which isn't far from Assisi. It will be a welcome respite from the (steep) hill towns. It looks like the other hill towns, but it's not on a hill. Gubbio is another, as is Perugia. There's just too much to see, and it's all beautiful. I thought Umbria was both more accessible and prettier than Tuscany, but either province will knock your eyes out. Take LOTS of photos.

Real Name
Mike
Glad I saw this thread. I'll be in Italy for three weeks in September, going between Rome, Florence, Tuscany, and Pompeii. I've also been wondering about lens choices; think I've got it narrowed down to three, though...
Don't forget to visit Herculaneum when you are near Pompeii. We were equally impressed with it. I brought all of my lenses, but the two I used the most were the 14-24 and 24-70. The 70-200 came out of the bag twice, but I didn't touch the other lenses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom