Rookie shots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PixelPete, Dec 15, 2005.

1. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Im new to bird photography so I dont know any of the rules but heres a few recent shots with the 300 f/4.
    [​IMG]
    This is as close as an Egret has ever let me get.Im about 40 yards off here.Boy these birds have keen eye sight!
    [​IMG]
    I think this is a wigeon not possitive.
    [​IMG]
    I liked the way the Heron blends into it surroundings on this one.
    [​IMG]

Question? What are the hard and fast rules for wing blurr or are there any?
    Based on my VERY limited experience Im guessing there has to be
    some kind of allowance compared to other types of photography.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Those look excellent Pete! I didn't think there were any rules, except bring back great pix, which you have done!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree with Chris Pete. Very nice shots. :smile:

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    These are good, especially the in-flight shot. Keeping the highlights can be difficult with birds, shooting RAW can help though. As others said I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about wing blur, it just depends on the look you're going for.

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Im not a birder,but they look good to me .

FWIW.

7. Very nice series, look forward to seeing more.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

There are two rules

1. have fun

2. bring home great images

You've done both !! :wink:

9. Very Nice. It seems you already have mastered Rule #1- get close.

10. Pete, if you're just starting, I can't wait till you get some more practise under your belt! These are very good!

Don't know if you mean by wing blur that you want it or not. In the beginning, all mine were like that (blurry). I found bumping the shutter speed up to 1/1250 or more (for certain kinds of birds at least) will help to "freeze" the wings. My other challenge was finding an acceptable f-stop to get the bird in focus up to the wing tips. Again, depending on the distance and the breed, I've pretty much settled into a f7.1-f8 range and am pretty happy. I'll just bump the ISO accordingly if need be. But that's what I've found works for me in the places I shoot....ymmv....and there are no "rules"...make your own for what pleases you!!

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Rules?

Oh-oh...now I'm in trouble!

This was your first time? Now we're all in trouble :)

12. great shots and I hope this has captured your interest. Looking forward to more.
    dave

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim you might be right. :>))

Great shots. Stop now.....lol

hummmmm Guess what, one birdie pic and your hooked.
    Now comes LLD for longgggggggg lens. Kinda like a Hubble.

14. Image #3 is a Wigeon as you suspected. Nice series.

15. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Thanks for all your kindness everyone ! A much better group of folks on this site than what I've experienced in the past other places.
    Kevin Im with you on those camera settings{sounds really ideal} and so far havent bumped the ISO higher than 400 for fear of the dreaded noise.That has left me with shutter anywhere between 1/500 to 1/800 at f/4 to f/5 on the 300mm.I havent had a real "clear" sunny day yet so Im hopeing to do better when I can get a haze free day.If my pockets were as deep as my desire Id have that D2x in a heartbeat for sure and I have no noise worries.LOL The next time I go out I'll bump up the ISO to say 800 and see what the shots look like.The D200 is within my reach when it comes out and I know I wont be able to resist.Im hooked. Thanks again!
    P.S. I guess the wigeon was in good sunshine,I forgot about that...and thanks for the bird knowledge Gordon.