Room for improvement

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Sybull, Jul 28, 2008.

1. As mentioned in my previous post "Gipau", my dad farm has loads of old outbuildings. Below is a picture of one of them I quickly snapped on my D40.

[​IMG]

I had in mind a more contrasty and atmospheric shot. I have not done any dodging or burning, just changed it to monochrome and fiddled around with the brightness curve, then added a tint.

[​IMG]

Any pointers on how to proceed ? I am wondering if there is to much black in the top and whether I should crop it out or lighten areas of it (i.e show more detail in the ceiling and joists). I was worried that dodging and burning might be glaringly obvious (down to my lack of experience).

I am sure with the wealth of experience displayed in this website, I should be able to improve of this picture.

Thanks

2. i like what you did with the redo
    the second one appeals to me more, i think

very nice

3. I also like the second one a lot better, but I'd still bring back a little detail on the top left. It think its too dark.

4. Thanks for taking the time to comment.xenonsupra, I agree with you, I will have a go at trying to bring back some detail without it looking to un-natural.

5. gregDT

gregDT

Apr 27, 2008
    London UK
    It's a nice shot but agreed the moment I first looked at it my eyes shot down into the middle and bottom left of the image. Something is needed to drag the eyes back and get them moving round the image again. I.m not sure if there is anything strong enough up in the top right of the image though. Maybe go back and hang something from the rafters or stand a tall ladder to the right of the image that angels up and into the scene and shoot again? Everything else works really nicely in black and white.... I'm quite envious :wink:

6. Here is an update

I have managed to go back and fiddle with it. I have doged a couple of area to bring out more detail areas and cropped it to loose the light fitting. I am toying with the idea of cloning out the strip lights.

[​IMG]

7. With the light coming from two different directions the viewer expects to see more details on the walls, especially on the wall opposite the window on the right.
    I like the toning and it adds to the mood of the picture.
    Perhaps I would have burned-in the light areas of the windows trying to improve the contrast but this is a personal touch.
    With the right subject this technique has to be a dynamite shot and it looks very nice in yours, by the way.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

8. I know what you mean about the light spilling onto the left hand wall. That is why I have cropped most of it out. It looked 'odd' being in almost total darkness.

My main gripe with the picture is the focus of the picture is the tap and bucket. Your eyes are drawn to it and you find yourself saying "...and ?" What I really needed was a homeless person sleeping there or a small emaciated child. Next time I visit hopfully I will take one of my children, or I might convice my dad to wear some rags and lie on the floor !:biggrin:

I will persevere. I might remove the partial fireplace on the right hand side as that I find it makes you say "...what is that ?" and distracts the viewer.

9. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Crack!!!

I'll take a amateurish crack at it:

1217276329_orig.

Tried to get a gradient from light to dark but have not done that much so it looks rather rough. Found the rear window to be very distracting...would have been a better photo if that were boarded up a bit. Removed your lights...possibly should have left striped shade but "I HATED IT."

:smile:

edit: Now that I look at it think it would be good to darken the beam where that roll up shade was, looks kinda phony

10. Wow ! Nice attempt ! You are a braver man than I am . I knew that getting the beams to line up etc would take time and practice so I didn't even attempt it. You have shown me roughly what the benefits could be be so I might revisit the idea and invest the time. Personally I like the "striped thingy", but I agree it is rather distracting.

My latest tweak was to follow camerapapi's advice and burn in the windows. I also burnt in the area around the bucket which does not make it look like such strong lighting . Finally I added a border and title.

[​IMG]

I thought it was finished, but know I have to go back to the strip lighting and "Stripey thingy" !! I have just realised the lighting is wrong and it indicates there is light coming in from behind me (which there was) which is at odds whith the effect I was going for of having the main lighting coming in from the left. So much to learn!!

11. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Dear Sybull

Try the 60 day free trial of Nikon's Capture NX2 program. It is downloadable from the Nikonusa.com site and the UK site lists it also:

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...cv=1.649&locale=en_GB&p_page_=1&p_nav=#tabtop

Anyway, it has a "eraser" tool which removed the lights and "thingie" in seconds, twas no skill involved on my part.:biggrin: Try it, I really like the program on my Mac (available for PC's too).

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    BW conversion is perfect !!! Congrats !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.