Room with a view -lots of images

Well a basket really!!
As some of you know I shoot pictures of people having hot air balloon rides but this weekend another balloonist and all round good guy Howard Watson phoned me saying a friend of his was having a ride in one of our balloons and Howard would come over and take me up to shoot our balloon (with his friend) from the air.
This is a sample of the images - unprocessed mainly just put through Lightroom with default settings at this stage...........

So here are the two balloons ready to go
5584196315_f7653d8620_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and in the sky:

3 - one with a bit of work on

4 - balloon to balloon
5584787238_6bdb96ebf9_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_25867.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

5 - Sunrise
5584197419_e618fae2b6_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_25906.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

5584788356_29a95892a4_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_25980.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

5584788598_126555160a_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_25996.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

5584788834_94a701783b_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_26029.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

5584789730_68defa91a9_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_26295.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

10 - last a train went by (the driver waved out at us!!)\
5584790006_810263c27d_z.jpg
[/url]GW20110402_26338.jpg by geoffwalkernz, on Flickr[/IMG]​

Enjoy!!!:biggrin:

Beautiful, Geoff. I had the opportunity to go up in a Balloon Adventures desert flight recently at dawn. Great winds, but unfortunately far too much haze and the wind didn't take us into the wilder areas of desert - a great experience and it was just a shame that the views weren't as photogenic as they could have been!

Those early morning mist shots are great!

Thanks Phil - ballooning is great and of course the time of day is the best for photographic light.
Unfortunately I do get a ride once every month or two so am a little spoiled.:biggrin:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
So how totally cool is this?? I'm loving them all, Geoff and I think you did a great job with these. Can't pick a favorite and they're all great!

Techinical question: I'm assuming all these were shot handheld, right (no tripod in the corner...)? And when you're in the balloon, is it fairly stable depending on the weather conditions, or are you continually bouncing around? And how many people can fit in a balloon?

The train shot for me but the rest are very good.
Thanks, I do like the train shots myself but didn't quite get the effect I have done before - but still I'll work on these files soon , there are about 800!:eek:

Beautiful set! I have never been up in a balloon, but those make me want to give it a try.
It is so much fun and very serene when the burner is not heating the air!!:biggrin:

So how totally cool is this?? I'm loving them all, Geoff and I think you did a great job with these. Can't pick a favorite and they're all great!

Techinical question: I'm assuming all these were shot handheld, right (no tripod in the corner...)? And when you're in the balloon, is it fairly stable depending on the weather conditions, or are you continually bouncing around? And how many people can fit in a balloon?
No tripod although it would be possible to use one (or a monopod) which I must try!!:wink:
No bouncing around at all nor any sensation of moving as you are just drifting with any wind current. Flights are only in good weather ( very little breeze, that is why they are mostly in the early morning). It can get bouncy landing though!!:biggrin::biggrin::eek:
How many can fit in a balloon - well they go from single seater (one person on a seat attached to the gas bottle) through to ones that take up to 24 people or maybe bigger. Where I go we have three; one 2 people plus pilot, one 4 people plus pilot and one up to 12 people plus pilot. It depends how many people are booked on which balloon we use.
Go and do it Lyndee!!!:smile::smile: Or come here for a ride.:eek:

What an experience! Great images!!!
Thanks Steve - you would love it!!

Beautiful series!
Thanks, every day is different so there are always cool shots.

Great post,i wanna go!!
Great, we fly when the weather permits and it's NZ$330 per person including a sumptuous breakfast at Wild Oats Café !!

Oh you need to make your own way here - we start around 6.00 am!!!
See you soon!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Okay, Geoff; I'll gather up my courage and go. Won't be until next year however, when I travel to Oz. May just have to stop over in NZ while I'm there...

This is a great series, some really evocative and beautiful shots. Very nice indeed.
Thank you Peter, I am always excited when up in the air - each flight is different!!

Okay, Geoff; I'll gather up my courage and go. Won't be until next year however, when I travel to Oz. May just have to stop over in NZ while I'm there...
Sounds just perfect - I'll put out the welcome mat!! Don't forget you need twice as long here as you do in Aussie!!:biggrin:
Stunning series, can't name a fav!
Thanks Rob, I'll sort one out that reminded me of your shots from the second flight that day!!:smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom