Rope strap opinions?

I’m considering getting a rope strap for my Z6. I was just wondering if anyone has opinions about this type of strap. Pros/cons, things to watch out for, etc.?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I have considered these just on appearance, but I have my reservations regarding comfort. Flat wide straps distribute load whereas I imagine these rope straps could dig into your neck and shoulders. I could be entirely wrong, but that's what I've told myself when I pass on them. Mind you I have never tried one so this is in no way empirical or anecdotal information. It is purely speculative.

My family gave me one for the Leica last year. While I enjoy it, it is bulkier than a flat strap. The bag I have for the Leica is small and fit for purpose. It holds the body w/ lens on and one other lens (Thinktank). The rope strap fits in the bag but it does take up more space than the OEM flat strap.

I have considered these just on appearance, but I have my reservations regarding comfort. Flat wide straps distribute load whereas I imagine these rope straps could dig into your neck and shoulders. I could be entirely wrong, but that's what I've told myself when I pass on them. Mind you I have never tried one so this is in no way empirical or anecdotal information. It is purely speculative.

The heavier the camera, the more you notice the difference.
I use the PD Slide on my D7200, the narrower PD Slide Lite on my EM1, and the much narrower PD Sling on my EM10.
The wider strap is, MUCH more comfortable than the standard strap, especially with a 70-200 on the camera, for HOURS.
This is the same reason that strap pads are WIDE. To spread the load over a wider area on your shoulder.

I'm a recent convert to Peak Design (PD) straps, and I agree with this ^. I have the "leash" and the "slide lite" and those are reserved for the smaller, lighter weight cameras and the original Slide is what I've got on my Sony A1. The wider strap makes all the difference and is significantly more comfortable when out walking around for a long time, especially with a heavy lens.

I also love the flexibility of the Peak Design system -- right now I've got a wrist strap (I forget what PD calls it) on my A7R IV since I'm using it primarily in the house for macros and don't need a full-out strap on it for that -- but when I am going out to a botanical gardens or somewhere when I'm taking both cameras and will of course want each to be well protected by an adequate strap, it will take just seconds to disconnect the wrist strap and leave it at home, put a second PD Slide in the camera bag ready to put on the A7R IV at the site, too, ready for action.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom