Critique Ropiteau Freres Meursault

This wine will be at the supper table this weekend when my best friend and his wife from college 50 years ago join us. It will be the first time we've been together in nearly 20 years. The wine will be paired with rabbit in puff pastry.

Setup
The tabletop is a vinyl floor tile and the background is translucent white plexiglass. Their hue was altered during post-processing. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the background shining toward the subject and camera outlined the translucent bottle in dark tones. A small one on the left brightened that side of the label and foil. A strip box fitted with a flash unit was touching a diffusion panel at a 45-degree angle on the right. That added the gradient reflection on that side of the bottle. The style of the photo is relatively simple as should be the setup. Unfortunately, the tiny size of my makeshift studio actually makes the setup very difficult.

Mike 2019-10-16--003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I love white burgundies.
Never had a chardonnay from anywhere in the world as good as my favorite Meursaults. If I was on a desert island and could only have one wine, it would be a Meursault. Probably a premier cru Meursault. Better by far and a lot less expensive than any grand cru white Burgundies I've tried.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
Another splendid image Mike. I like how you have controlled the light across the bottle and use the dark bottle edges to set it off from the light background. Very well executed. I also like how the light transitions across the label so it is not evenly (boringly) lit, but instead has a transition from lighter to darker (right to left). Also good choice for hue of the background as it compliments the bottle well.

I've said it before. You do a masterful job planning these out and executing them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom