1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rose Breasted Grosbeaks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, May 1, 2007.

1. These are a new arrival at least for me...Striking.

480352788_34e25f5be0_o.
    NIKON D80    ---    420mm    f/5.6    1/640s    ISO 250

480352874_06fb5fb551_o.
    NIKON D80    ---    420mm    f/5.6    1/640s    ISO 320

480365581_7e5f3c452d_b.
    I hope this is the female. I pulled out my guide and was surprised when I looked this up.
    No doubt I'll be straighted out if I am wrong.

480607906_d339d4ad11_b.

2. bioalkemist

bioalkemist Guest

Not trying to do any "straightening" but the female looks like a female (or perhaps juvenile) red-winged blackbird to me. Notice the differences in bill shape? Also, you can see some splotches of redish color on the wing. Anyway, red-winged blackbird is my guess! Nice shots of the grosbeak, though. I hear a lot of folks are seeing them at feeders this year. What was a rarity is now common! Lucky for photographers!

3. Thanks the bills are different. Man they were a surprise to me. Thanks for looking.

4. John
    One of my most favoritte species and I hardly ever get to see one. Thanks for sharing these. I do not believe the female is the same species.

5. My nemesis bird this year! I missed getting a clean shot on this migration so I'll have to wait 'till next year. Thanks for posting these!

Jose

6. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Nice pictures and I am glad you got to capture some. I have them in my yard every year for the last nine years. I had 50 yesterday morning and I still have around 20. The last picture is a 1st summer male Red-winged Blackbird.

7. Thanks Debbie, your posts and feeding thoughts have really helped me. All comments much appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.