Rose Breasted Grosbeaks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, May 1, 2007.

1. These are a new arrival at least for me...Striking.

480352788_34e25f5be0_o.
    480352874_06fb5fb551_o.
    480365581_7e5f3c452d_b.
    I hope this is the female. I pulled out my guide and was surprised when I looked this up.
    No doubt I'll be straighted out if I am wrong.

480607906_d339d4ad11_b.

2. bioalkemist

bioalkemist Guest

Not trying to do any "straightening" but the female looks like a female (or perhaps juvenile) red-winged blackbird to me. Notice the differences in bill shape? Also, you can see some splotches of redish color on the wing. Anyway, red-winged blackbird is my guess! Nice shots of the grosbeak, though. I hear a lot of folks are seeing them at feeders this year. What was a rarity is now common! Lucky for photographers!

3. Thanks the bills are different. Man they were a surprise to me. Thanks for looking.

4. John
    One of my most favoritte species and I hardly ever get to see one. Thanks for sharing these. I do not believe the female is the same species.

5. My nemesis bird this year! I missed getting a clean shot on this migration so I'll have to wait 'till next year. Thanks for posting these!

Jose

6. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Nice pictures and I am glad you got to capture some. I have them in my yard every year for the last nine years. I had 50 yesterday morning and I still have around 20. The last picture is a 1st summer male Red-winged Blackbird.

7. Thanks Debbie, your posts and feeding thoughts have really helped me. All comments much appreciated.