1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Roseate Spoonbill

Discussion in 'Critique Corner' started by FredZ, Jun 18, 2019.

1. FredZ

FredZ

May 20, 2019
    Texas
    Roseate Spoonbill, D500, 500mm PF, 1/2500, f/7.1, ISO 800
    ISO was a little higher than I would have preferred but was watching birds feeding in the shadows of the bayou. This one jumped up quickly while being chased away by another Spoonbill. Image doesn't seem to be totally focused. Maybe should have gone to f9 or so to get more of the bird focused?
    DSC_0371-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Any suggestions for improvement will be appreciated.

2. nice shot

maybe add some space in front and below

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FredZ

FredZ

May 20, 2019
    Texas
    Thanks. I would have liked to have gotten a little more space but he flew in front of me quite quickly and I couldn't easily back up.
    Edit: Opps, I'm kind of a bonehead at times. I can add some space in post. LOL

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  4. I meant add it. I'm not a big PS user so I found a few you tubes showing how, after a few times it's pretty easy

5. btw the eye is sharp and I doubt f/9 would have enough been enough DOF for the rest of the bird. I would have also tried some shots at f/5.6 and 1/3200 if the ISO was under 800. I've found that's a safe speed for flight shots.

6. gary gruber

gary gruber

Jun 27, 2019
    SO CAL
    Nice photo. I'd push the highlights a bit in Lightroom, That would brighten the background.

7. I would just crop a bit off the type. I like the body and wing position a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.