Rosebud Orchid and Grasspink with the 500D

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by dmwphoto, Jul 4, 2005.

1. These were taken with the D2X and 70-200VR/Canon 500D
    Rosebud Orchid
    [​IMG]
    Grass Pink
    [​IMG]
    Grass Pink shot with 200mm micro
    [​IMG]

2. got to luv that combo, great #2 shot with saturation of colors, sharpness and water/dew on flower. Great job Dave!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Dave. So how do you compare it with the 200 micro? If you could have only one macro set-up, which would it be?

4. Dave, love the images, but I am also curious. As Frank mentioned in his post, how would you compare the 200 micro versus the 70-200 + 500D lens combination? I have been comparing zinnias captured with my 70-180 versus the 70-200 +500D and I find that my micro lens is more saturated and contrasty. The VR images appear more refined with excellent DOF. What are your findings?

5. The 70-200 takes very nice close up images with the 500D. The bokeh is very nice and rich. I do not feel, however, that is is a good choice for real macro work. It is very difficult to position and capture the finest details. I use mine alot and love it, but it is not in the same league as the 200mm micro in my opinion. I find them both usefull for different things. I am no expert, mind you.

6. Thank you Dave. I recently experimented with the 70-200 at Longwood Gardens. Certain areas are too crowded even for a monopod. I wasn't able to use the 500D for that trip, but I will try it again. I am beginning to identify when each lens is appropriate, but VR still spoils me. :)

7. Nice Dave..........I need to get me one of those 500D's

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, it only took you three weeks, but I finally have my comparison. :roll:

Seriously, so you find the 200 micro easier to use than the 70-200 and 500D? What about the reproduction ratio? Do you get more magnification with the 200 micro? How about the difference in working distance? Is the 200 as sensitive as the VR to lens to subject distance? What about the lack of VR? Do you find that to be an advantage of the 70-200? An finally, how would you compare the 200 micro to the 70-180 micro?

Thanks,

9. Hi Frank,

Good questions. I tried comparing the 70-200+500D with the 70-180 micro (the 200 micro was on my wish list for a long time) a few weeks ago in the resident garden at work. I spent two days taking photos of zinnias in relatively the same weather conditions. After studying the photos for two weeks, I deleted the 70-200+500D photos. They were flat, so-so DOF, and just didn't have the same fire as my dedicated macro (micro Nikkor) lens. I think the convenience of the VR has its place as Dave has mentioned before. But overall, I think I will stick with the 70-180 micro on a monopod for those truly memorable, saturated images. I also found the working distance associated with the 500D to be a bit of a pain, much easier to work on a monopod with the micro lens. If magnification becomes an issue and working distance is not inhibited, then I would add the 5T or 6T to the Micro Nikkor lens.

Unfortunately, I have never compared the 70-180 to the 200 micro Nikkor lens. I was going to purchase the 200mm micro Nikkor lens until someone mentioned the 70-180mm micro Nikkor. As you know, it was a bugger to find and I was lucky enough to purchase a lens in pristine condition. I mount it atop a Manfrotto 3D ball head for maximum flexibility and use it with a compact Manfrotto monopod. It has a permanent space in my Velocity 7 bag along with the 17-55. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am really satisified with this lens. I just want to add the 12-24 to complete the collection. :shock:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall,

Thanks so much for your in-depth reply. Just the info that I needed, and pretty much what I have distilled from yours, Dave's, and other folks shots with true macro lenses.

One thing that I'm still a little confused about. When I shot with Ron R at the botanical gardens here, he used his 60mm micro for both wide angle landscapes as well as very close in macro shots. Does the 70-180 work the same? Are these lenses just set up so that they have incredibly short minimum focus distances? I guess I just need to get one and try it out. 8)

11. Very nice Dave and the moisture is an added touch.