Rosie says hello

Please critique- only way to get better.
bird-tampa-day2evening-0619-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D3, 500mm f4 with the 1.4x teleconverter. Manual exposure.
Stopped down to f8 as I wanted to hold sharpness all along the bill.
This is cropped some, so I have some room around if a different crop would float anyone's boat.

Shoot away!
Gary

Real Name
Dan
The central crop works for this shot IMO. Stopping down for the DOF was a good decision. Then entire bird is sharp. Great exposure and a clean BG. If you absolutely demand a criticism... after much scrutiny, the horizon looks like it might could use a slight clockwise correction. Nicely done.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Truly a stunning photo! Love the pose and the DOF! Processing is nicely done.

As a variation, you might try adding some space to the left side of the image. That is the direction of the bird's movement, and will get the bird out of the middle. Right now the crop feels a little "tight". JMHO....

Here she is with a little more room, I shot this one loose.
Better? This helps me understand what others like- sometimes I am too close to my own work to judge what others may like.
Not really sure about rotating it- I will look again. The rear "shoreline" is actually sloping up
Thanks again
Gary
i-TwJLQKt-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the repost with less negative space on the left. I don't think it need rotation. It is tough as it is a side lighting..

Real Name
Randy
how about this for C&C:

the shot if friggin awesome as is and the original crop is perfect imo (rules are made to be broken)

it has a cool 3d look and the crop and wing pos add to the look

how about this for C&C:

the shot if friggin awesome as is and the original crop is perfect imo (rules are made to be broken)

it has a cool 3d look and the crop and wing pos add to the look

Randy
You have terrific taste, great talent- and there are so few of us left!
I also like it as the original, but do love to hear what others like. Sometimes, for me anyway, part of learning is understanding what others like, or expect in an image. Then I decide if I give that to them, or shoot it the way I want.
Still learning
Gary

Liking the Image with a great Pose and Shot at a Low angle.

IMHO: a 2.5 X 2.0 would be a better Crop Ratio than the 3.0 X 2.0.

This would be a Nice Compromise and give a bit more Room and allow Room to move into!!

I am not sure what your SS speed is, from the repost, everything looks sharp but in the original the face is a bit soft. If you keep it that way, do a selective sharpening on the head.

I think the two crops are both good. The first to get up close and personal but the second one I think is better with a little more room in it. Well done.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom