Rosslyn Chapel

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 26, 2007.

1. This is the famous ediface of The daVinci Code. It is unlike any Christian Church on the inside. Just about every surface is covered with unusual, sometimes bizarre, stonework. That and the connection of the man who built it with the Knights Templar make it a feast for stories and treasure seekers. Supposedly the secret to the lost treasure of the Templars is shown in the carvings. The officials and tour guides are nonplussed about it all, yet delighted with the tourist curiosity since the sudden rush of tour funds is accelerating its restoration. Queen Victoria, seeing the deteriorating condition asked that preservation start. Unfortunately the only efforts then were to paint the inside of the chapel walls and stonework with white paint. Subsequent rainfalls, instead of passing through the stonework and gradually evaporating accumulated at the interior surface making some of the stone items soft to the point of crumbling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail of the ceiling
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rich

2. aldirtfarmer

aldirtfarmer

May 2, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Very Nice. Makes me want to go back to Europe in the digital age. I haven't been since 92.

3. Very beautiful! I've never been to Europe either, but wow, these pics make me wanna go! Keep em comin!

4. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Very Nice! Was there a secret stairway leading to an unused basement room???:wink: :wink: :biggrin:

5. Thanks all. Yes there was a stairway down to the basement, but it was open and anyone could go down there. There wasn't much in the basement though. The mystique of the movie created someting which probably doesn't exist. There are burial crypts in the floors of the basement and below, which they freely admitted, but there are no plans to open them to look for the reputed treasure of theKnights Templar.

Rich

6. Rich, this chapel is really something special and your images give a good impression of the mystic air. You may know that I don't believe in God (of any kind) and that I am religious in my own sort of way, but I am often awe-struck when I enter buildings like old churches or monasteries or their ruines.
    Thanks for those pics - Rosslyn Chapel is on my travel wish list.

Cheers