Rosy cheeks

The lady wanted some family portraits, and Sunday morning was the best time we could come up with. I bought her a rose, as a Mother's Day present and to use as a prop. It loved it for this picture, because it matched the color in her son's cheeks.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was hoping for some cloud layer in the morning, but the sun was out in full force. I used flash to narrow the dynamic range requirements for the strongly lit backgrounds.

View attachment 95554

I try to limit these family portrait sessions to 45 minutes, because the kids (and sometimes the photographer) burns out in anything longer, and the expressions are forced and unenthusiastic. I called "TIME" when this expression on the lad was as good as I could get.

View attachment 95555

I didn't have my best day, but I harvested enough material to print this montage as a keepsake for the pretty lady.

View attachment 95556

Note: if you're interested in technical details, I posted them in a "strobist" labeled thread in the lighting forum.

Frank, I love your posts...you put such thought into the entire process...thanks...

And great results, by the way...you did *VERY* well for less than optimal lighting...

N

Nuteshack

beautiful images Frank...thanks much for sharing ....;-))

Lovely shots Frank. Agree with John, your posts have been a learning tool for tons of folks here. Many thanks!

Oh yeah, I'm loving the strobist stuff a bunch. :smile:

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
Frank, I so look forward to your posts. Your love for your work shines right through in your photos, and they're such a joy to view. I'll bet this lucky lady fell in love with that montage the instant she saw it! If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, you must come do a family portrait for me!

Very nice as usual. I bet the family will be very pleased.

One question... in a situation like this with full sun out (you obviously took advantage of shadows when possible) did you just set the flash to TTL-BL or is there a scientific process to figure out what to set the flash on that an idiot like me would find to blow over my head. :rolleyes:

This was my approach, based on some Strobist articles.

For a bright sunlight shoot, I try to position the the subjects in open shade, be it from trees or structures. Then I...

1. put the camera in manual mode
2. set iso at the lowest level the camera allows
3. set the shutter at the highest sync speed the camera allows
4. set the metering system in matrix metering mode
5. select an aperture that underexposes the background by 1-2 stops
6. put the metering system in spot metering mode.
7. put the flash(es) in TTL mode and adjust their output(s) using test shots
8. fire away.

If I move locations, I need to to start over from step #4

Latest posts

Top Bottom