Rough-legged BIF + early morning Eagle

As a product of a flood we got, all of the ground rodents were relocated and concentrated to areas closer to the roads, which is where all of the high ground is. This has made taking pictures of Raptors almost super easy. The Rough-legged Hawk below was one that I had tried to get all winter. these are nearly full frame. The bird was maybe 30 ft above me the whole time...the hardest part of the whole 5 minutes was that I got my car stuck in a tractor rut, and couldn't move for a bit.

1213937095_nhbop-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1213930912_WK8pB-L.jpg

1213934326_YiAP3-L.jpg

1213924159_cc6aQ-L.jpg

1213923926_wiWQh-L.jpg

The Eagle below, I took earlier in the day, was fighting with other juvi eagles for shad that were in one of the containment ponds. I was originally there to get duck pictures, but that was put on the back burner. there were lots of mid air battles and fish drops, but I was too far away to get anything good. This one flew right in front of me and settled on the branch . Gotta love it...but I wish it was an adult...maybe next time :biggrin:
1213935559_QmUCr-L.jpg

Oh, how lucky you were and what wonderful pictures...!

Good job...! :cool:

Clapping.gif

JPS

WOW ! I looked at your signature to see which Nikon 400, 500 or 600mm. you were using, and saw that your longer lens was -only :rolleyes:- the Sigma 150-500 ! That gives me hope......

Still, where/how on earth you guy find all these big birds ? All I see in this forum are eagles, cranes, owls, pelicans, etc... All I can ever see is swans, ducks, pidgeons and many very little_lighting_fast_never_stop_flying birds !

:frown:
J-P.

WOW ! I looked at your signature to see which Nikon 400, 500 or 600mm. you were using, and saw that your longer lens was -only :rolleyes:- the Sigma 150-500 ! That gives me hope......

Still, where/how on earth you guy find all these big birds ? All I see in this forum are eagles, cranes, owls, pelicans, etc... All I can ever see is swans, ducks, pidgeons and many very little_lighting_fast_never_stop_flying birds !

:frown:
J-P.

HEy J-P...All I do is drive around and use my car for a blind...albeit most of the time it's a wildlife area, with ducks and stuff like that, you almost have to be a duck hunter; blinds, decoys, stuff I don't have...of course the guys down in FLA, the birds walk up to them in the McDonalds Parking lot!:biggrin::biggrin: Just Kidding, that's only with Sandhill Cranes.

Great set & shooting Steve!
Thanks Steve. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom