Rough Legged Hawk, Red Tail and Peregrine

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Dec 24, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The rough legged was a real treat this morning, even though I couldn't get him in flight as close as I wanted or in good light...they are very rare visitors in my neck of the woods!

In order from yesterday afternoon:

RTH on a wire....(the sucker absolutely wouldn't fly)

original.

A different Red Tailed Hawk at dawn this morning:

original.

A Peregrine:

original.

The Rough Legged Hawk perched at distance in early light and a couple of harsh light flight shots from distance:

original.

original.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful shots Jim. I was just telling Patrick that we need to find a rich shooting area like yours down here somewhere. Very well done. :smile:

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Frank

We seem to have Red Tails coming out of the woodwork lately.

The peregrines have kept me from being bored as the Eagles and Owls just haven't settled in yet.

You should see this rough legged hawk in flight! He hovers much like a Kestrel, except it's larger than a harrier. He hovers in one spot for minutes at a time.

Tomorrow morning, I'll be on the island at first light and I'm not coming home for Christmas dinner until I have some shots from underneath him :)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I've got 11 days off, and planned to spend every one shooting, but now they are predicting rain for the next 5 or 6 days (it's pouring right now). I think I'm going to scream!! :Shocked: :Angry: :eek:

5. Beautiful shots, Jim! The feather detail on the 1st one is exceptionally nice!!

6. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Wow! The first shot is incredible. All are excellent.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just Beautiful.

Is that Mr 5W..Sure looks like him. He is so cute :>)))))

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Superb Sir, Just Superb!

Heck, all i have in my collection is one wet juvy redtail on the house across the street on a rainy day, and a kestrel out at the river. The local birds are just too sneaky for me right now.

Cheers,

Wade

9. Not much happening here, but at least I can live vicariously looking at your magnificent shots Jim. Keep'm coming!