round nd opinions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by threecats, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Need a general consensus on best 3stop nd round. I have heard that some have a color cast which is why I will not use Cokin splits. For a straight 3stop nd however I want a round so I don't have to fool with holder and worry about the delicate nature of resins, etc. I'll get 77mm and choke down for the other lenses
    Who's using what please?
    Thanks,
    glenn

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    If you mean a straight ND, versus a graduated ND, you can't go wrong with the B+W threaded filters. Pricey, but well worth it. If you really want to go all the way, consider the Singh-Ray series of ND filters, especially the variable ND filter.

But if you mean graduated ND filters, I wouldn't recommend the threaded filter variety. They are too difficult to line up properly, since they are all 50/50splits, whether hard or soft edge. Go with the Lee slot filters. Resin isn't that delicate; even if it's scratched, the scratch won't be visible in the image unless it's a deep scratch. Hold the filter around the edges and you should be fine.

3. thanks. Yes I mean straight nd. I have a threaded split and as you say, it's kinda worthless. The only way it works is to go against all basic rules of composition. Have you heard of any probs with Lee resin fitting Cokin holders? I think I read an old post that said Lee or maybe it was Hitech were too tight in Cokin holders.

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    Sorry, but I'm only familiar with the Lee filter system sold by Calumet Photo.

I live in Naperville, so I visit their Oakbrook store (too often). Talk to Wendy or Roy; I find them to be the most knowledgeable.

If you do get into the Lee filter system, I recommend that you spend the extra money and purchase the wide-angle filter holders to avoid any vignetting issues with the standard holders.

Good Luck!

5. Oakbrook is close> I may dare stop by Calumet one day

6. I like the hoya ultra thin ND filters, I can stack one on a hoya pro 1 CPL with no vignetting. However, they have no front threads.

7. another rave for the B+W's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.